From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Church of Canada Wins Major Awards at WorldFest-Houston

From "CHURCH HOUSE" <chrchhou@united-church.ca>
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:46:10 -0400

For Release	--Tuesday, April 27, 2004

United Church's Real "Reality" Television Show
Wins Major Awards at WorldFest-Houston

Toronto:  Spirit Connection, now in its second decade, has been
televising real "reality-based" programs long before they were
popularized.  On Saturday, April 24th, The United Church of Canada
series, broadcast weekly on Vision TV, won three major awards for their
international documentaries, at the 37th Annual WorldFest-Houston
International Film Festival.

All My Friends Just Fade (produced by Royal Orr and Catherine Rodd) is a
documentary about church-sponsored HIV/AIDS education programs in
Trinidad and Tobago working to create awareness among young people about
the dangers of the disease. It won Platinum, in the Family Matters
category.

BASTA: Building a New Argentina (produced by Kathy Price and Shane
Chadder) focuses on the efforts of the churches and partner
organizations in Argentina to challenge and change the economic policies
of globalization that have brought their country to collapse. It won
Gold, in the Social and Economic Issues category.

God's People, Among All God's People (produced by Shane Chadder and
Royal Orr) is a documentary about the evolution of the United Church's
mission work in India, the new exciting partnerships it has created and
the uncomfortable challenges that linger from our past.  This
documentary won Gold, in the Religious Programs category.

"We're delighted with these awards," says Executive Producer Shane
Chadder.  "In an era when so much of what we see on television is billed
as "reality" television, it's gratifying to know that stories about
different realities in other countries and about the church's work
helping to change those realities, are stories that resonate with
people."

The WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival is one of the oldest
competitive international film festivals in North America, and the only
one dedicated exclusively to independent features and short films.
WorldFest presents awards in 12 major areas of competition, including
Feature Films, Documentaries and TV & Cable Production.  In past years,
Spirit Connection has been a frequent top winner at WorldFest.

The series, Spirit Connection, hosted by journalist and broadcaster
Royal Orr, focuses on stories of faith in action and profiles of people
who seek to renew their communities and congregations in The United
Church of Canada and around the world. The series has been on the air
since 1988.

Spirit Connection is broadcast on Vision TV, Sunday evenings at 8:30
p.m. ET.

For more information, see http://www.united-church.ca/spirit/home.shtm.

Or contact:
Catherine Rodd,