From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Presbyterian Church Evangelism Secretary Clears Up Details

From "pctpress" <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Wed, 5 May 2004 14:17:10 +0800

on Ordination of Homosexual Pastor
Special Release
Taiwan Church News
5th May, 2004

On Monday May 3rd two of Taiwan!&s English language newspapers carried a
report originating with Agence-France Press (AFP) noting that a
practicing homosexual had been ordained into the General Assembly of the
Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT).  The report was brief and centered
on comments by a member of Taiwan!&s Legislative Yuan who attended the
event.
In order to clarify the status of the church, the minister, and the
position of the PCT, the Taiwan Church News (TCN) interviewed the Rev.
Hsu Hsin-te (Stephen Hsu), who serves as Evangelism Secretary at the
General Assembly.

TCN: What is the position of the PCT on homosexuals?

Hsu: There is no official position, but we believe that the word
!'whosoever!( in John 3:16 refers to all people. We believe that God!&s
love for homosexuals is the same as God!&s love for all other people whom
God has created.  We believe that homosexuals are in need of love and
pastoral care equally with all other people, and we believe that the
church!&s obligation to provide love and pastoral care to homosexuals is
the same as our obligation to love and provide pastoral care for all
people whom God has created.

TCN: The ordination took place at Ki-kwang Presbyterian Church, which is
part of the PCT!&s 7 Stars Presbytery (District). Is the Tong Kwang
Lighthouse Presbyterian Church part of the PCT?

Hsu: The Tong Kwang Lighthouse Presbyterian Church is neither a part of
the 7 Stars Presbytery nor of the General Assembly of the PCT. It is an
independent church, governed by its own board and bylaws. In that way it
is like many independent Protestant churches in Taiwan and around the
world.	Its use of the facilities of Ki-kwang Presbyterian Church was on
a one-time rental basis because there was not room in its own location
for all the members and invited guests to attend the ceremony. Ki-kwang
Church rented out the facilities but neither supervised nor endorsed the
ordination. This is similar to the way in which Morrison Christian
Academy in rents its facilities in Taichung and Taipei for use by
English language community churches without supervising or endorsing the
content of the preaching or understandings of Baptism and the Lord!&s
Supper held by those congregations.  PCT congregations in Tainan and
Kaohsiung also rent facilities to English language community churches
without supervision over what is done in them.

TCN: But Tong Kwang Church uses the name !'Presbyterian!(. Doesn!&t that
mean you have some responsibility for oversight, supervision and approval?

Hsu: The name !'Presbyterian!( is an honorable Biblical term. We have no
copyright over it. Nor have we any ability to enforce standards of our
own over who uses this name. Next door to our PCT central offices in
Taipei is Friendship Presbyterian Church. It is not a PCT congregation.
Our Christian role and responsibility towards Friendship Presbyterian
Church is to be a good neighbor. In the same way, as Christians we are
to be good neighbors to Tong Kwang Church.
There are many church groups and independent congregations in Taiwan
using the names Christian, Baptist, Pentecostal or Lutheran that are not
under the supervision of other church groups that use the same names.
Tong Kwang!&s use of !'Presbyterian!( falls into this category.

TCN: The AFP report carried in the newspapers said that Rev. Tzeng was
ordained into the General Assembly of the PCT. What does that mean?

Hsu: The first thing it means is that the reporter neither understood
church structures nor did he or she seek out someone who understands
them for an explanation.  The PCT!&s General Assembly does not ordain
ministers. That power rests with the local districts in compliance with
standards set by the General Assembly.	The local district holds the
membership of ordained ministers and supervises them. But Rev. Tzeng is
a minister of an independent church. He is not under the supervision of
7 Stars district or of the PCT!&s General Assembly.

TCN:  But weren!&t the ministers who laid hands upon him to ordain him
Presbyterians?

Hsu:  Yes. PCT ministers are often invited to participate in the
ordinations of ministers of independent churches in Taiwan. They are
free to do so.

TCN: Did Rev. Tzeng graduate from a seminary affiliated with the PCT?

Hsu: Yes, he graduated from our Taiwan Theological College.  Several
ministers of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches, an entire denomination that openly affirms homosexual
ministers, elders and members in North America, are graduates of schools
affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.  The Rev. Dee Dale in
Louisville, Kentucky, USA graduated from Boyce Bible School, and the
Rev. J. Richard Bashan in Huntsville, Alabama USA studied at New Orleans
Baptist Theological Seminary.

TCN: Will the PCT clergy who participated in this ordination be
disciplined by the General Assembly?

Hsu: As is Taiwan, so is the PCT; governed by law.  Discipline of
ministers is a function of the local district. Disciplinary action would
be taken only if charges against the ministers were to be brought at the
local district level. The only way a !'case!( would reach the General
Assembly would be if it had been appealed up to this level.
  A case brought against any of 4 ministers who participated in this
ordination would open all PCT ministers who participate in any
ordination ceremonies outside the PCT to charges if the persons upon
they laid hands were in any way out of strict compliance with the
doctrinal standards held by the PCT. This might eventually hinder all
PCT ministers from participation in independent church clergy
ordinations is their presence were not first !'cleared!( through higher
authorities.

For More Information: Stephen Hsu hsinte@mail.pct.org.tw

		   TEL: +886 2 23625282 ext 252

		   FAX +886 2 23638096

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan!&s local languages.

Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw