From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

National Council of Churches on Recent Developments in Iraq

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 15:08:05 -0700

NCC Expresses Sadness, Indignation at Mounting Death Toll, Chaos in Iraq;
Torture of Iraqi Prisoners

May 5, 2004, New York City -- The National Council of Churches USA is
watching with growing sadness and indignation the devolution of the crisis
in Iraq into increasing chaos. This chaos is marked by a mounting death
toll of United States soldiers, Iraqi civilians, and others; the continuing
civil unrest throughout Iraq; uncertainty as to Iraqi leadership after the
transition on June 30; little and only begrudging change in posture on the
part of the United States with regard to the international communitybs role
in Iraq; and now the devastating report of the humiliation and torture of
Iraqi prisoners by U.S. military personnel.

The United States ostensibly went to war in Iraq as a part of its bwar on
terror.b No matter what one thinks of the bwar on terrorb as the guiding
principle of U.S. foreign policy, its primary goal of eradicating terrorism
as an imminent threat against people of goodwill throughout the world
requires the cooperation of most, if not all, countries in the world.

How can Americans expect such cooperation when our actions can only be met
with revulsion? Indeed, our actions have resulted, not only in the
squandering of the universal goodwill enjoyed by the U.S. in the wake of
the 9/11 attacks, but also in the alienation of many around the world who
once saw American democracy as something to be emulated. How else to assess
the damage done by the unilateral invasion of Iraq, the deprival of due
process for more than 600 people imprisoned at Guantanamo, the closing down
of an Iraqi newspaper, the appalling mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners?

The common cause that all countries should share in the bwar against
terrorb is overtaken by resentment against the United States for what is
seen as a betrayal of its own ideals. Unfortunately, the photographic
emblem of this war will not be the tearing down of Saddam Husseinbs statue
by Americans and Iraqis in joint celebration; it will be the pyramid of
naked Iraqi prisoners being taunted by U.S. soldiers in a moment of moral
bankruptcy.

Especially in a world filled with conflict, our faith calls us, as
witnesses to Christ who is our peace, to fellowship and community with all
people and nations. The path to such community is not an easy one. It
requires much dialogue, respect for others, and the belief in the dignity
of all human beings. Such community also requires shared commitments and
rules of legitimate behavior, as expressed in international law and agreed
upon by the community of nations.

It is time the United States take actions that befit its place among the
community of nations. It is time we Americans stand up and demand it of
ourselves.

-end-

Media Contact: Carol Fouke, 212-870-2252; cfouke@ncccusa.org