From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopalians support assault-weapons ban in Mother's Day

From enslist@epicom.org
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 11:30:46 -0500 (CDT)

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Episcopalians support assault-weapons ban in Mother's Day march

By Alexander D. Baumgarten

ENS 051204-2

[ENS] Episcopalians from around the country were among the thousands of
Americans who rallied on the west lawn of the U.S. Capitol on May 9 in
support of extending the federal ban on assault weapons.

The Mother's Day rally--which was followed by a march through the streets of
the nation's capital--was the kick-off event for the Million Mom March's
"Halt the Assault" tour, a nationwide, summer-long series of events designed
to bolster public support for renewal of the soon-to-expire weapons ban. The
Episcopal Church was among the dozens of faith-based organizations that
endorsed the march.

Striving for Justice and Peace

In 1995, the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church endorsed the federal
assault-weapons ban as part of the "commitment, as called for in our
Baptismal Covenant, to strive for justice and peace and, in seeking to serve
Christ through the dignity [of] all persons, " continuing "to be a voice for
the voiceless in society." That commitment was reinforced by the 2000 General
Convention, which expressed grave concern about the use of handguns and
assault weapons by and against children and called upon church members to
work for the removal of such weapons from homes and residential communities.

Originally signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1994, the
assault-weapons ban is set to expire on September 13. During the 2000
campaign, President George W. Bush pledged to sign an extension of the ban,
but congressional leaders have left doubt as to whether they will pass the
necessary legislation. Speakers at the Mother's Day rally called upon the
President and Congress to renew their commitment to the ban. "Each day that
goes by, we are losing time," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), a speaker at
the rally and an Episcopalian.

Marching behind the Episcopal Church banner were Karen Chane, spouse of
Bishop John Bryson Chane of Washington; Brook and Clara Packard, spouse and
daughter of Bishop Suffragan of the Armed Forces George Elden Packard;
representatives of the Episcopal Church's Office of Government Relations; and
others from around the country.

"As a mother and an Episcopalian I wanted to add my voice to the voices of
the thousands of other concerned parents who participated in the Million Mom
March," said Karen Chane. "The proliferation of guns and other assault
weapons in our society is not being matched with responsibility and oversight
by the gun industry or our elected officials. I am gratified that President
Bush has promised to support the renewal of the Federal Assault Weapons ban,
but he can and should do more. Episcopalians and mothers from across the
country should ask their members of Congress to renew the ban before it's too
late."

The federal assault-weapons ban was the subject of an Episcopal Public Policy
Network alert in late February, prior to the Senate's consideration of
S.2109, legislation to renew the ban, which was offered as an amendment to
the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. The amendment passed the
Senate, but similar legislation has not been considered in the House of
Representatives, which also must approve it.