From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Griswold joins ecumenical pastoral letter on Iraq

From enslist@epicom.org
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 11:50:50 -0500 (CDT)

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Griswold joins ecumenical pastoral letter on Iraq

By Carol Fouke

ENS 051204-3

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold has signed an ecumenical pastoral
letter released May 11, in which leaders of the National Council of Churches
USA and its 36 Protestant and Orthodox member communions called for a change
of course in Iraq.

Their goal, they agreed, is peace and a renunciation of violence as contrary
to the will of God.

"In a sinful world, some of us may hold that there may be times when war is a
necessary evil," they wrote. "But Christians should never identify violence
against others with the will of God and should always work to prevent and end
it."

Specifically, they called on the United States "to turn over the transition
of authority and post-war reconstruction to the United Nations-and to
recognize U.S. responsibility to contribute to this effort generously through
security, economic, and humanitarian support-not only to bring international
legitimacy to the effort, but also to foster any chance for lasting peace. We
would ask that members of our churches, as they feel appropriate, contact
their respective congressional delegations to urge the U.S.. to change course
in Iraq."

They encouraged local churches to read the letter aloud in services during
the coming month.

The full text of the letter follows, along with signatures collected by 5
p.m. May 11.

May 11, 2004

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:

Grace to you and peace from God our Creator and the Lord Jesus
Christ!

We, leaders of the thirty-six member communions of the National
Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, write this joint
pastoral letter at a time when the threat of violence hangs over
the earth and warfare involving United States forces is increasing in Iraq.
We write out of a deep love for this country, but also out of a profound
concern at the direction this cycle of violence is taking us. This concern
has been brought home to all Americans and indeed the world in the horrific
pictures of prisoner abuse.

Two central claims of the Christian faith are crucial in our thinking: that
every person, as a child of God, is of infinite worth; and that all persons,
as participants in God's one creation, are related in their humanity and
vulnerability. This is why the World Council of Churches has asserted that
"war is contrary to the will of God" - because it destroys that which God has
made sacred.

In a sinful world, some of us may hold that there may be times when war is a
necessary evil.  But Christians should never identify violence against others
with the will of God and should always work to prevent and end it.

We believe, with these things in mind, that the guiding principle of U.S.
foreign policy must be to build up the whole, interdependent human family and
to promote reconciliation whenever possible.  Yes, this means standing firmly
against all acts of terror, but it also means envisioning a world in which
war is truly a last resort.

Current U.S. foreign policy, however, is not aligned with this
principle. Many people see our policy as one based on protection of our
country's economic interests narrowly defined, rather than on principles of
human rights and justice that would serve our nation's interests in deep and
tangible ways. We are convinced that current policy is dangerous for America
and the world and will only lead to further violence.

We, therefore, call for a change of course in Iraq, and we encourage you to
do the same.  Specifically, we are calling upon our country to turn over the
transition of authority and post-war reconstruction to the United Nations -
and to recognize U.S. responsibility to contribute to this effort generously
through security, economic, and humanitarian support - not only to bring
international legitimacy to the effort, but also to foster any chance for
lasting peace.	We would ask that members of our churches, as they feel
appropriate, contact their respective congressional delegations to urge the
U.S. to change course in Iraq.

We certainly recognize that faithful Christians of good will may
disagree with one another when it comes to questions of national
policy.  We trust, however, that all Christians will pray and work for peace,
remembering the words, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called
children of God."

We also urge all of our congregations and parishes to pray not only for the
soldiers of this nation, as we surely do, but for all people, military and
civilian, caught in this and other cycles of violence. When possible, join in
prayer, discussion, and action with ecumenical and interfaith neighbors.
Materials to assist in this are available from many of our churches and from
the National Council of Churches (www.ncccusa.org).

As ecumenical partners, we know that it is a scandal that the body of Christ
remains so visibly divided, often by those things that divide the world.  Let
us, however, be united as followers of Christ in our hope for that day when
swords are beaten into plowshares and mourning and crying and pain will be no
more!

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the
Holy Spirit, be with you all.

Alliance of Baptists
The Rev. Dr. Stan Hastey
Executive Director

American Baptist Churches in the USA
The Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley
General Secretary

Diocese of the Armenian Church of America
His Grace Bishop Vicken Aykazian
Diocesan Legate and Ecumenical Officer

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
The Rev. Wm. Chris Hobgood
General Minister and President

The Episcopal Church, USA
The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios
Primate

International Council of Community Churches
The Rev. Michael E. Livingston
Executive Director

Moravian Church, N.P
David L. Wickmann
President

National Council of Churches USA
The Rev. Dr. Robert Edgar
General Secretary

National Council of Churches USA
Interfaith Relations Commission
The Rev. Dr. Barbara Brown Zikmund
Chair

Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
Friend Thom Jeavons
General Secretary

Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
The Rev. Dr. Major L. Jemison
President

The Rev. Dr. Tyrone S. Pitts
General Secretary

Swedenborgian Church in North America
The Rev. Ronald P. Brugler
President

United Church of Christ
The Rev. John H. Thomas
General Minister and President

The United Methodist Church
Council of Bishops

Bishop Melvin G. Talbert
Ecumenical Officer

--Carol Fouke is director of news services for the National Council of
Churches in the USA.