From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

No Subject

Statement by
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Office of the Moderator

May 2004

The members of Metropolitan Community Churches share a collective sense of
horror and indignation at the images taken from within prisons in Iraq and at
allegations of abuse by United States troops.

When Jesus himself was arrested, he condemned the use of violence and said,
No more of this!b (Luke 22:51). As Christ's followers, we echo his words and
speak them now to the governments responsible, particularly to the United
States as the leader of the war in Iraq, and say, "No more of this!"

As people of faith, we adamantly believe that all people are entitled to
humane treatment, free of torture, degradation and abuse. Metropolitan
Community
Churches joins a growing chorus of international voices in condemning the
conduct that occurred in the Iraqi prisons as violations of commonly held
moral
tenets and accepted international standards.

Metropolitan Community Churches especially condemns the use of sexuality as
an instrument of torture, shame, and intimidation. Our physical bodies and
sexuality are good gifts that God has given us, to be used wisely, for our
pleasure and wholeness.  There can be no justification for forcing sexual
acts
upon
human beings against their will. That prisoners were forced to perform sexual
acts that violate their religious principles and personal consciences is
particularly heinous.

It is also a sign of our society's deeply troubled relationship with
sexuality that homosexual acts were considered by the perpetrators to the
acceptable
forms of torture, shame and humiliation.

We are further deeply disappointed to learn that the governments of United
States, Great Britain and Australia were informed of the prison violations
many
months ago, yet took no public action to stop it.

call upon their governments to ensure a full investigation of the conditions
under which prisoners in all coalition-run facilities are detained, to hold
accountable those who are responsible for these gross violations of human
rights, and to work diligently to prevent such conditions in the future. We
fully
condemn the use of torture, including physical abuse and sexual violation, as
part of any strategy in any war.

As a Christian denomination with churches and ministries in 22 countries,
Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) pledges to continue to work for a world
in
which all people are treated with dignity and equality and where sexuality is
celebrated, respected and used for good.

/signed/
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt, MCC Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org
Website: www.MCCchurch.org