From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Mission task force releases report

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 17:33:58 -0500

	 <http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	May 13, 2004 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 48

	Task force chairman sees potential for change in Synod

	By Paula Schlueter Ross

	Is the "Great Commission," or reaching the lost for Christ, the
"primary focus" of today's Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod?

	Two-thirds of respondents to an online survey posing that
question said no.

	When asked in a follow-up question what the Synod should do to
become more adept at carrying out the Great Commission, the top answer
among "no" respondents (29 percent) was "stop in-fighting, politics and
judgmental attitude -- become outward, rather than inward, focused."

	The one-third of respondents who answered that yes, outreach is
the primary focus of today's Missouri Synod, were asked a follow-up
question similar to their counterparts: "What specific things might the
LCMS do to enhance its focus in implementing the Great Commission?"

	Their top answer (22 percent) was remarkably similar: "stop
in-fighting and become more flexible and inclusive; become more outward
-- rather than inward -- focused."

	Although he isn't really surprised by the responses, Dr. Larry
Stoterau is excited about them, he said, and the potential they offer
for effecting real change in the Synod.

	Stoterau is president of the Synod's Pacific Southwest District
and chairman of the Mission 21st Century Task Force, which sponsored the
online survey last summer. What did surprise him, he said, was the
number of people who took the time to log onto the Web site and answer
the open-ended questions.

	The task force had hoped to get 1,000 responses to its survey,
Stoterau said, which would have provided a good, though not
"scientific," sampling.

	Instead, they got 1,843 responses. "So, we're just thrilled," he
said.

	About 30 of those who filled out the online questionnaire shared
even more of their opinions in separate e-mails to Stoterau because
there wasn't enough room on the survey form to say everything they
wanted to say -- an indication, he said, "that the people of our church
are really passionate about mission."

	And a full 75 percent of respondents also provided their name
and telephone number "and said, 'call me -- I'd like to talk more about
this,' which indicated to us that we really hit a nerve in the church,"
he said. "It's overwhelming to us to get that kind of response."

	The Mission 21st Century Task Force was appointed by Synod
President Gerald Kieschnick in 2002 to find out why the Missouri Synod's
membership is declining, suggest ways for reversing that trend, and
develop overtures for the 2004 Synod convention that "capture the
mission heart of the delegates and can effect change."

	The task force spent the first year gathering statistics,
studying previous survey results about the Synod and other U.S.
Lutherans, and seeking ideas and observations from a variety of current
and former LCMS leaders, including pastors, seminary and university
faculty, national and district staff, and experts from outside the
Synod.

	"What we tried to do was get a picture from a variety of places
inside and outside the church," Stoterau said, in an attempt to answer
the question, "why are we declining as a church body?"

	Baptized membership in the Synod has fallen by more than 250,000
since its peak in 1972 at 2,781,297, and "net outreach" -- the number of
adult gains minus the number of adults removed from the rolls -- has
been negative almost every year since 1969, according to the task force.

	The Web-based survey was open to any LCMS member to offer
"opinions about what the church should be doing in the future to capture
a mission vision," according to Stoterau.

	More than half of survey responses (57 percent) came from
laypeople, 25 percent were from pastors, and the remaining 18 percent
were provided by other church workers. Moreover, responses were received
from all 35 LCMS districts, according to Stoterau.

	"On a percentage basis, the survey is very representative of the
Synod," he said, with no more than 7 percent of responses coming from
any one district.

	Stoterau said he and other task force members feel good about
the survey results because they mirror the task force's research. "It
basically affirmed all the things that we learned," he said.

	Those learnings are explained in the task force's report,
"Mission in the 21st Century," which is printed in the Convention
Workbook, beginning on Page 17, and is posted on the Web site for the
Synod President's Office at www.lcms.org/president
<http://www.lcms.org/president>  .

	The task force has prepared a half-dozen convention overtures
designed to increase mission efforts in North America. They encourage
actions such as "establishing national goals for Ablaze!," "helping
every congregation see itself as a mission outpost," "supporting ethnic
ministries," and "being missional and confessional in a postmodern
world."

	Other overtures prepared by the task force suggest changes in
the training of professional church workers that are designed to make
them more missional in their thinking and teaching, and call for
involving the Council of Presidents in the certification -- and
continuing education -- of pastors.

	After Stoterau reported on the task force to the Council of
Presidents (COP) April 26, the COP's members discussed and without
dissent agreed to report in one year to each other how many families or
individuals each brought at least once to church, "where the Word is
preached." Second Vice President Wallace Schulz, who made the motion,
told his colleagues, "If we don't [bring people into the church], how
can we tell others to do it?"

	Stoterau said the task force is asking congregations to read the
full report and to discuss it, especially how it relates to each
congregation and its ministry.

	"All of our churches claim to be Great Commission churches, but
if you ask, 'what's your strategy?' [for outreach], 75 percent of them
don't have one," he said.

	"We want the church to be talking about this before they come to
the convention," Stoterau said. "We want to build momentum for The
Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod to again become a missionary church in
the 21st century in North America."

	If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
		Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=1903>	with a friend.

MessageId=1903 UserId=10073
  _____

Design ) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.