From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Clerk issues statement on Brown v. Board

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 10:23:29 -0500

Note #8237 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04234
May 18, 2004

Clerk issues statement on Brown v. Board

Anniversary is a reminder that 'we still have a long way to go'

by Clifton Kirkpatrick
Stated Clerk of the General Assembly

     Today, May 17, 2004, marks the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme
Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education that in so many ways changed
the course of history for the second half of the 20th century and the first
part of this century. In setting aside the doctrine of "separate but equal"
as inherently unequal, the Supreme Court affirmed a vision of one humanity,
where all people are to be treated with equal dignity as children of God.
That vision is, at its core, a Biblical vision - and one to which God calls
us to renew our commitment on this historic day.

     That decision 50 years ago sparked the civil rights movement in which
churches, including the Presbyterian Church (USA), played a major role in
calling our nation and the world to live by the principles of racial and
social justice. While we have come a long way, we still have a long way to go
to make this vision a living reality in our world and in our church.

     My hope and prayer is that this 50th anniversary will not only be a time
to celebrate, but also a time to renew our commitment to build a church and a
society where all are welcomed and treated with equal dignity befitting those
who are created in the image of God.