From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop's Letter to Chaplains

From enslist@epicom.org
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 11:40:36 -0500 (CDT)

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Presiding Bishop's Letter to Chaplains in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait

ENS 051904-1

May 6, 2004

For all who serve in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait

My dear friends,

This letter comes to thank you for your dedicated service to our church and
our country, and to assure you of my prayers for your safety and wellbeing.

In my Easter message, I wrote:

Alleluia is our Easter song. As we sing alleluia we are crying no to the
poverty, disease, and injustice which afflict millions who, like ourselves,
are made in God's image. We are refusing to accept things the way they are.
As we sing alleluia we are proclaiming an unequivocal yes to the vision of a
world transformed, healed and reconciled in the One who has drawn all to
himself.  Alleluia is our acknowledgement that we have been caught up into
Christ, and Christ's continuing work of binding up and making all things
whole and new has become our own.

Your costly ministry in these complex, dangerous times is an expression of
that alleluia. Every day, as you offer care and guidance to the men and women
who serve in our military, you are a part of Christ's reconciliation of our
broken world.

I hope you will convey, as you can, my greetings and prayers to all
Episcopalian officers, enlisted and civilian personnel who are serving in
your region.

Once again, please know of the prayers and thanksgivings of your Episcopal
family, for you and your own family and friends.

Yours in Christ,

Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate