From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC Noticias May 23 2004 Argentina Chile Brasil Dominican

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 09:47:00 -0700

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

ALC HEADLINES:
ARGENTINA: Expert presents Christian position regarding environmental
problems
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Evangelicals reject having received exonerations from
the State
CHILE: From a small happy people to a Church concerned about growth
CHILE: Meeting of confessional families ended with a call to unity
BRAZIL: Lutherans from the Southern Cone analyze problems facing young women

ARGENTINA
Expert presents Christian position regarding environmental problems

BUENOS AIRES, May 17, 2004 (alc). We are convinced that all ecological
problems have a known technical solution, however, these solutions will be
absolutely insufficient if they are not accompanied by political will
marked by social justice, which is why we participate in the Global
Environmental Citizenship Program, said Alfredo Salibian.

The Latin American Council of Churches representative made this statement
at the official launch of the mentioned program in Argentina on May 13 in
the Senate.

The event was attended by a Latin American Parliament delegation, the
general project coordinator, Lorena San Roman, authorities from Argentinas
Environment and Sustainable Development Secretariat as well as the CLAI
regional secretary for the River Plate Juan Gattinoni, and the CLAI
representative to the Environmental Citizenship Program , Ernesto Sinka.

Saliban noted that Latin American Churches and Christian organizations, and
Argentine in particular, agreed to join the program because of their clear
Biblical commitment to be stewards of creation and the conviction that
individual action should be social in its effect and impact.

Individualism leads the human being to construct an unsustainable
dichotomy: in order to ensure their existence they abuse others and the
environment where they live.

The commitment of the Latin American Christian Church was adopted and
strengthened based on the observation of concrete organizations, as a
consequence, among other factors, of the imposition of economic models and
neo-liberal policies which, for being brutal, unfair and anti-democratic,
have threatened the survival of a high percentage of our compatriots, he said

As a consequence of this process, 225 million Latin Americans are poor, 100
million are indigent and the 10 richest percent receive 30 times more
income than the 10 poorest percent.

We are experiencing a complex process of deterioration and appropriation of
our natural resources that are gradually passing over to the management of
transnational corporations and interests, some of which have sad histories
and extensive anti-environmental trajectories, he warned.

One example is the virtual imposition of soy crops in Argentina and the
surrounding area, with their adverse effects on the structure and
biodiversity of the ecosystems. In the south of the country, the joint
effects of the climate change and the thinning of the ozone layer, affect
the structure, productivity and dynamic of the eco-systems and scientists
anticipate possible damaging effects on the health of many compatriots,
said Salibian.

A program like this could provide a window through which we have the hope
of a new harmonious relationship with the environment. We believe that the
hour to ecologize the economy has arrived, the time to invest the current
economic pro-consumer rationality, placing it at the service of life, he
said.

Economic efficiency comes before environmental efficiency and only harvests
contamination, deteriorating living conditions, dependency and greater debt.

Argentines or human beings from other countries, for example, do not
consume soy. Rather it is food for cattle, fish, and used to produce
adhesives, plastic, soap, etc. They take the nutrients from our soils and
leave us pollution and deterioration, he said.

For CLAI, the Program fits into a Fullness of Life Project. A new person is
possible and will survive when and if they are integrated into nature. Our
theology is not a theology of prosperity. We have opted for theology that
promotes the integral liberation of the human being and their health link
to the environment.

People from Churches are not alienated, concerned about otherworldly
things. To the contrary, in line with the teaches of Jesus Christ, we lived
immersed in the great society of our peoples and cities, it is there where
we want to participate and contribute. This is why I agreed to join this
Program, concluded Salibian.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Evangelicals reject having received exonerations from the State

SANTO DOMINGO, May 17, 2004 (alc). The president of the Evangelical Unity
Confederation Reynaldo Franco Aquino rejected news reports in El Nacional
that stated that State security organizations are investigating the use of
special facilities to import tax-free vehicles granted religious
congregations and Evangelical pastors by the government.

The same publication affirmed that some congregations and Evangelical
Church pastors benefited with up to 20 tax breaks to bring cars and busses
into the country that were later sold.

Franco Aquino denied that this institution, which represents Evangelical
Churches, has received exonerations and added that members of CODUE have
also not benefited. He called on State intelligence bodies that, according
to El Nacional, provided the information, to clarify if it is correct.

The CODUE president told the daily Hoy that he would contact the National
Investigations Department, together with a commission of pastors, to
request that the issue be clarified.

He said that CODUE receives around $17 million from donations from Europe,
the United States and other parts of the world and therefore does not need
tax breaks and has not received them.

We continue to believe that the Evangelical Church constitutes a major
part of the nations moral reserve and we call on State security bodies to
provide a public and clear report as a result of these investigations,
said Franco Aquino.

The Dominican Confederation of Evangelical Unity has not signed, in the
present government period, a single tax exemption request, he added. He
did not rule out the possibility that government officials have granted tax
exemptions to individuals without the due institutional representation, as
was the case in previous governments.

We cannot evaluate the situation because we do not have any control over
those cases, he said.

In his statements to Hoy, Franco also did not rule out that there are
groups that want to hurt the evangelical Church after it signed the social
pact, although he said he could not accuse anyone directly.

CHILE
 From a small happy people to a Church concerned about growth

By Manuel Quintero
SANTIAGO , May 19, 2004 (alc). What does growth mean? Should the emphasis
be on quality or quantity? Why and how to grow? These questions were
debated on the third and final day of the Second Meeting of Latin American
Confessional Families that brought together 65 bishops and Church
moderators from 15 countries in the Chilean capital.

This is an issue that demonstrates fundamental changes in Churches that, up
until recently,  sang we are a small, happy people with great conviction
and today are committed to Evangelical efforts that do not neglect
numerical growth.

According to Pastor Hector Petreca, one of the panelists and president of
the Christian Biblical Church of Argentina, some answers are more or less
obvious. Strong Churches are not built on programs, personalities or
tricks, but on the Salvationist purposes of God, he said.

In his own Churches these aims focus on five fundamental areas: adoration,
ministry, evangelism, communion and discipleship, Evangelism is to simply
go and make disciples, said Petreca, whose Church, founded in 1973, has
extended across the nation and now has a membership of more than 25,000.

He added, The Church exists to make Gods word known. If someone discovers
how to cure cancer, undoubtedly they will make it public. We know what the
solution is for man and societys problems and we must communicate it.

The emphasis on growth has also been present in the Brazilian Methodist
Church under the leadership of Bishop Pablo Lockmann. The result is
visible: a qualitative leap that essentially doubled its membership from
83,000 in 1989 to 164,000 in 2004.

In the Rio de Janeiro region, the number of Churches grew from 132 in 1989
to 285 in 2004, as well as 183 missionary points that will likely become
Churches in a short period of time, he said.

Some strategies and actions have been key for these results. We have
recovered two fundamental elements of our legacy: the Wesleyan emphasis on
preaching and the principle of the universal priesthood of believers, one
of the cornerstones of the Reform, said Lockmann, who is also president of
CIEMAL.

In the Rio de Janeiro region this means 487 lay Evangelists, many trained
in different courses, who not only preach and hand out tracts with Biblical
verses but offer specific ministries for alcoholics, the sick and children
who break the law

The changes in liturgy have also played an important role in the revival
and growth of Brazilian Methodism.

Twenty years ago, all the worship services in our Churches followed the
same model, they did not last more than an hour with a 15-minutes sermon
and the organ was the only musical instrument to accompany the liturgy. It
was a service that was carried out in the United States or England. This
has been transformed and today we have a Brazilian Methodist worship, he
said.

In contrast, according to the Rev. Eileen Lindner, in the United States,
major historic Protestant Churches are losing members while the Catholic
Church is growing; to a great extent due to significant Latin American
migration, as are Evangelical churches.

However, this is also leading to two interesting phenomena. On the one
hand, a significant number of Pentecostal Churches begin to involve
themselves in social justice, in the battle against hunger and poverty, for
example.

Secondly, these denominations that are losing members now have a renewed
interest in studying their roots and legacy, whether that is from Wesley,
Calvin or Luther.

These Churches are struggling and are looking to be faithful to their
tradition and identity in a difficult environment, said the Rev. Lindner,
who has been associate secretary general of the National Council of
Churches for Christ in the United States for nearly 20 years.

She also warned about developments that threaten to convert Christian faith
into another merchandise and said that these religious experiences do not
seek Gods glory but personal welfare and comfort.

CHILE
Meeting of confessional families ended with a call to unity

SANTIAGO , May 20, 2004 (alc). The Second Meeting of Latin American
Confessional Families called on Latin American Churches to grow together in
communities of faith and justice, non-violence, equality, peace and to work
with the poor and toward the transformation of society.

The meeting, which took place May 17-19 congregated 65 bishops and
presidents in the Chilean capital together with other Church leaders from
15 Latin American countries. The event was convened by the Latin American
Council of Churches (CLAI) to advance, under the discernment of the Holy
Spirit, in the process of edifying the Church of the Lord.

Members of the World Council of Churches (WCC), the European Council of the
Churches and the US National Council of Churches also attended.

The final declaration asked, in the midst of the difficulties, problems and
suffering of the people, for special prayers for the very delicate
situations in countries like Colombia, Venezuela and Cuba that face the
danger of foreign military interventions; and countries like Bolivia,
Ecuador and Peru, racked by profound social and economic crisis that
threaten their political stability.

This reality calls on us to search for alternatives, solutions, healing and
salvation. Either we open the doors and hearts of our Churches to give an
answer or they will be knocked down, said the document. It added that the
Lord has given us a magnificent opportunity at this time in history.

We recognize that our Church structures are very fragile, that our
congregations have grown on the margins of power in our country and have
ministered from economic poverty and weakness, the document stated.

However, it added, This is our strength, therein lies our wealth, our
contribution. The fact that we have never been installed in secular power
and we do not possess it allows us to carry out Jesus mission in Jesus
way. For this reason we must depend on the strength and actions of the Holy
Spirit rather than depending our money, intelligence or prestige.

We depend on the strength of Gods and our own non violent love and not on
the power of weapons, on community and human solidarity rather than
competitive, dehumanizing, solitary individualism, on adoration,
cooperation and support among Christians at an inter-Church,
inter-denominational or ecumenical level and at a national, regional or
international level, and not on the isolation and sectarianism that world
wants us to depend on.

We encourage you to grow in an integral spirituality and to exercise a
mission aimed at the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and physical
dimension of being human in society, avoiding polarizations between the
spiritual and the material, between Churches with different emphasis,
stated the Latin American Christians.

With the help of God we will build our Churches characterized by unity,
love and justice, it concluded.

BRAZIL
Lutherans from the Southern Cone analyze problems facing young women

By Edelberto Behs
SAO LEOPOLDO, May 20, 2004 (alc). Women in search of fullness of life,
with a special emphasis on young women, is the theme being debated by 45
representatives from Lutheran Churches affiliated with the Lutheran World
Federation meeting in this city from May 18-21.

We want to discus who is this young woman in the Church and in Society. We
know that she works, studies, has children, maintains a family, but also
seeks spirituality. But, what spaces does the Church open for this new type
of woman, asked the coordinator of Lutheran women for the Southern Cone,
Vera Roth.

Fullness of life finds space and meaning in the reason for being in
community life, said the executive secretary of the Women in Church and
Society sector (WICAS) of the LWF, Priscilla Singh, during the opening
conference. Lutherans from Argentina, Brazil and Chile analyzed the
document Churches say No to violence against women, elaborated by the LWF.

The document states that this is not only a problem that affects women. If
the feminist movement demands a new model for women, in which she is
responsible for her destiny and is not a victim, there is also a need for
new models of masculinity that do not depend on dominating women.

Domestic violence, according to the LWF workbook is the most common type of
violence against women: Studies carried out in 35 countries show that 25 to
50 percent of women who are attacked suffer aggression at the hands of
their current or former partner.

Regarding the sexual abuse of children under the age of 16, in 40 to 58
percent of cases the perpetrator is a family member or someone the child
knows. A UN report states that each year 2 million girls and adolescents
are mutilated: 75% of cases take place in Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria,
Somalia and Sudan. Genital mutilation rituals, considered religious, are
carried out under the argument that they are a cultural rite and initiation
ceremony into adult life.

The LWF document also focuses on the effects of modernization and
globalization in peoples economic and personal lives The globalization of
production increased the feminization of work, in particular in sectors
such as elaborating food, clothing and assembly lines for goods and
services. However, this does not equip women to acquire a skill but rather
submit her to mass, routine production with no creativity, according to
the study.

The document demands reflection and change, beginning the process with a
provocative question: Is there violence within the Church? The same text,
in its chapter entitled Name the sinner by name answers the question.
The most important thing is to confess that there is also violence within
the Churches, due to some policies and practices that impede womens access
to leadership.

The Churches, the document continued, must analyze whether preaching the
Gospel for centuries in some way contributed to mans predisposition to
violence, to the impotence of women and girls and to the social tolerance
of family violence  In many parts of the world, the text adds, the Church
tends to marginalize separated and divorced women as well as single women
and single mothers. The condemnation is more intensive if women are
prostitutes or the victims of rape, without making any effort to understand
the system that lead to these situations.

Meanwhile, the men are not even judged, not even when they have created or
contributed to the emergence of these situations. Sexism perpetuates the
belief that some people are superior or inferior to others based on
biology, said the text, emphasizing that the law imposes changes while
structures continue to remain the same.

Agencia Latinoamericana y Caribeqa de Comunicacisn (ALC)
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
Tel. (51 1) 462-0189  Telefax (51 1) 463 2496
Cell Phone (51 1) 9724 3959 / E-Mail: director@alcnoticias.org
Visit our web site: http://www.alcnoticias.org
To stop emails, please visit http://www.alcpress.org/StopNews.asp?lanCode=1