From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Director of Anglican and Global Relations announces

From enslist@epicom.org
Date Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:20:24 -0500 (CDT)

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Director of Anglican and Global Relations announces retirement

By Matthew Davies

ENS 060104-1

[ENS] The Rev. Canon Patrick Mauney, director of Anglican and Global
Relations (AGR) for the Episcopal Church, announced his retirement June 1
after thirteen years overseeing its relations with other provinces of the
Anglican Communion. His retirement will take effect March 31, 2005.

The search process is now underway for a new director of AGR, who will manage
a 15-staff department encompassing overseas partnerships, world mission
education and network development, the sending and receiving of missionaries,
and the United Thank Offering. It is anticipated the new director will assume
responsibilities on January 1, 2005.

An incredible gift

Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold spoke of Mauney's "wide and extensive
experience of the Anglican Communion" as "an incredible gift to our church."

"The years that he and his wife, Mardi, spent as missionaries in Brazil
prepared him for his ministry as director of Anglican and Global Relations,"
Griswold said. "In so many ways, Pat has helped us be in solidarity with
brother and sister Anglicans as they deal with the burdens and opportunities
of their local contexts. He has been a wonderful colleague and friend, and I
will miss his wise and thoughtful advice and assistance as I seek to
represent our church in other parts of the world."

Mauney, who also serves as a staff liaison to the International Concerns
Committee of Executive Council and Standing Commission on World Mission,
joined the staff at the Episcopal Church Center as Coordinator of Overseas
Ministries in 1982. He has since served as Partnership Officer for Asia and
the Pacific (1987-89); the Presiding Bishop's Deputy for Anglican Relations
(1989-91); finally taking up his post as director of AGR in 1991.

Prior to moving to New York, Mauney was Rector of St. Andrew's Church
(Parsquia de Santo Andri) in Sco Paulo, Brazil (1977-82), a trilingual
(Portuguese, Japanese, English) parish of four congregations with a total of
about 200 members.

Ecumenical engagement

Mauney takes great pride in his commitment to engaging global mission
ecumenically in the United States. "Our partnerships with other churches have
been a real priority for me and a priority for my staff, and I think it's
something that is so easily forgotten about," he said. "It is important to
remember that when we talk global mission we're talking about exactly the
same things as the United Methodists, the Presbyterians, the Lutherans, the
Greek Orthodox, African Methodists et cetera. We have got to be more
together."

Directing self-governance

Ordained deacon and priest in 1972, Mauney has encountered many changes in
mission throughout the Anglican Communion over the past 22 years and played
an active role in directing many of the so-called "overseas dioceses" which
have left the Episcopal Church and become self-governing provinces. "I have
been intimately involved--certainly in the case of the Philippines, Central
America and Mexico, and even in the larger Anglican Communion--in that move
towards self-governance," he said. "One of the tasks I'll be turning over to
my successor is how we can be of assistance in enabling a rethinking of some
of the mission in certain parts of our overseas dioceses to make them
healthier churches."

Missionaries--importance of companionship

During its report to the 2003 General Convention in Minneapolis, the Standing
Commission on World Mission recommended commissioning many more missionaries,
emphasizing the importance of companionship throughout the Anglican
Communion.

Speaking of the ultimate goal as encouraging and supporting dioceses to
become self-sufficient without losing the partnerships, Mauney said that it
is particularly important "not so much for financial reasons but because we
all live in an interdependent world of globalization." He added that "not
having human beings as a part of that back and forth impoverishes us all, and
that also means we need to have more people from abroad in this country and
in this church."

Mauney expressed encouragement about the recent announcement of the Episcopal
Church's new director for mission, the Very Rev. Jim Lemler, describing him
as a "bundle of energy and articulation."

"I think he's going to be a wonderful voice for the Episcopal Church Center,
for DFMS, and the larger church," Mauney said. "We need someone who helps us
to integrate all of the mission aspects and not just global mission. Jim
Lemler has a lot of credibility and visibility in the church, and so I think
he'll be a wonderful addition."

Time for reengagement

Highlighting his hopes for the future in terms of world mission, Mauney
emphasized that "this is no time for us to pull back from global engagement."
He added that, particularly with the current strains in the Anglican
Communion, "it's a time to be reengaged because it's in relationships that
our mission is expressed and those are human relationships."

Mauney will continue to serve on several boards, in particular the American
committee of Kiyosato Educational Experiment Project (KEEP) in Japan, which
seeks to provide Christian witness through people-to-people outreach and
education; the Church World Service; and the Historical Society. He is
married to Mardi Lee Jacobsen with whom he has one son, and enjoys reading
and gardening.

Those interested in applying for the position of director of Anglican and
Global Relations for the Episcopal Church are welcome to read and respond to
the job announcement found on the Human Resources and Job Postings page on
the website of the Episcopal Church www.episcopalchurch.org/hr.htm or by
calling the Human Resource Management department at 800 334-7626 x6083 to
request a copy.

--Matthew Davies is staff writer of Episcopal News Service