From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Archbishop of Sudan Statement on Peace Talks

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:08:16 -0700

ACNS 3838     |     AFRICA     |     1 JUNE 2004

Statement from the Most Revd Dr Joseph Marona, Archbishop of the
Episcopal Church of the Sudan on the signing of protocols at the Sudan
peace talks at Naivasha, Kenya, on 26 May 2004

Together with all the people of Sudan, I give thanks and praise to
Almighty God for the signing which took place in Naivasha, Kenya, of
Protocols to lead to a peace agreement between the Government of Sudan
and the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA). This is a very
encouraging day for the Sudanese people, and I warmly congratulate the
President of Sudan, His Excellency Lt Gen Omer El Bashir, and the leader
of the SPLA, Dr John Garang on reaching this important moment.

We have been praying for all those involved in the negotiations during
the 101 days of talks and we know that the issues have been difficult
and highly complex. We therefore congratulate the negotiators, in
particular the First Vice President, His Excellency Ali Osman Taha, and
SPLA Leader Dr John Garang on achieving important agreements on the
issues of power sharing and the three areas of Nuba Mountains, Southern
Blue Nile and Abyei. We also thank and congratulate the Special Envoy of
the IGAD Sudan Peace Process, Lt Gen Lazaro K Sumbeiywo, and the
international community who have been supporting the process.

We now call upon all the people of Sudan to take hold of this
opportunity to achieve peace in Sudan. The seeds for peace have been
planted and now must be given the opportunity to grow. We all have a
responsibility to protect what has been achieved and nurture it towards
achieving a just and lasting peace. God has given us a new opportunity
to stop the fighting in the whole of Sudan. None of our Sudanese people
should be denied the opportunity to see their children grow up in peace.
In particular:

We call for the situation to be resolved in Dafur and the fighting to be
brought to an immediate end
We appeal to all armed groups still holding guns in different parts of
the country to lay down their weapons and work together to create peace
in Sudan
The time for peace has come. Let us commit ourselves and our country
into the hands of God so that a comprehensive peace agreement may come
to fruition. Let us commit ourselves to working at every level towards
full implementation of this peace agreement. Let us commit ourselves to
work together towards our vision of all the Sudanese people reconciled
before God.

May the blessing of Almighty God be upon our country Sudan.

The Most Revd Dr Joseph Marona
Archbishop of the Episcopal Church of the Sudan

For further information concerning Sudan:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/tour/province.cfm?ID=S6