From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kathryn Sime Named Director For ELCA World Hunger Appeal

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:00:48 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 8, 2004

Kathryn Sime Named Director For ELCA World Hunger Appeal
04-117-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA)  Kathryn Sime has been appointed director of the
World Hunger and Disaster Appeal of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) effective July 12.
     "I'm honored to be joining the World Hunger team as we celebrate 30
years of ministry around the world.  I look forward to meeting and
learning from those ELCA members and congregations who faithfully live out
our call to 'go and do likewise' through their generous support of the
World Hunger Appeal," said Sime.
     Sime, 32, is a consultant for The Alford Group here.  She succeeds
Lita Brusick Johnson, who was named director of the ELCA World Hunger and
Disaster Appeal on July 1, 1998.  Johnson was appointed associate
executive director for the ELCA Division for Global Mission on Dec. 1,
2003.
     From 1994 to 2000, Sime served as a research analyst for the ELCA
Department for Research and Evaluation.  "Kathryn Sime is a fine,
intelligent and creative person who will bring her special tenacity to
raising money for the World Hunger Appeal," said Dr. Kenneth W. Inskeep,
director, ELCA Department for Research and Evaluation.
     Sime earned a bachelor's degree from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa,
in 1994.  Luther is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.  In
2000, she earned a master's degree in management of public services from
DePaul University here.
     She is a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church here.
     The income goal for the 2004 ELCA World Hunger Appeal is $16.25
million.  This year members of the church are celebrating the appeal's
30th anniversary.  The ELCA World Hunger Appeal was established at the
1987 Constituting Convention of the ELCA.  Churches that formed the ELCA
launched the appeal in 1974.
_ _ _
     Information about the ELCA World Hunger Program is maintained at
http://www.elca.org/dcs/worldhunger.html on the Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news