From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC Synod Declares Week of Prayer for Peace

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:45:10 -0700

Grand Rapids, Mich., June 15, 2004 - The Synod of the Christian Reformed
Church voted today to declare June 27 - July 4, 2004 as a week of prayer for
peace and to send the following letter to all Christian Reformed
congregations.

Dear Congregations and Members of the CRCNA,

Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they shall be called sons [children] of God"

Matthew 5:9

	 The synod of the Christian Reformed Church meeting in Grand Rapids,
Michigan, declares June 27 to July 4, 2004, a week of prayer for peace. As a
week of prayer, these dates bridge our two national holidays: Canada Day and
Independence Day.

	 We grieve with and for those who experience the devastation of
violence in its many forms and guises. We weep with victims of poverty,
starvation, abortion, terror, and war-especially at this time for those who
are victims of terror and war. The recent wars and persecutions in various
countries bring this vividly to our attention. The injuries and loss of life
on all sides of these conflicts brings sorrow and a need for confession.

	 We confess and repent at this time because sin pervades even our
best
intentions and efforts. Sin runs through every human heart, every human
structure, and every national government. We ask our heavenly Father to
forgive us for our sins and to send his Spirit to awaken in us a love for our
neighbor that brings us to our knees in prayer for his battered creation.

	 Remembering that our primary allegiance is to Christ's kingdom and
not
to any nation or state, we ask the members and congregations of the Christian
Reformed Church in both Canada and the United States to pray for the needs of
the international community. Pray for:

7	  An end to violence

7	  Peace in war-torn places

7	  Victims of war

7	  Leaders of nations

7	  All who serve in government

7	  Fellow believers who influence policy

7	  All those risking their lives to build peace

Pray that families who mourn the loss of loved ones are comforted, and pray
for those who are maimed and wounded that the Spirit of God will bring
comfort
and healing.

	 Our world belongs to God, and we commend it to his care. Let us come
together for a week of hearing what the Spirit has to say to the church. Let
us listen to the Word of God. Let us listen to the voices of those who bear
God's image. Let us in humility ask God for help to bring violence to an end,
to tame the hearts of the vengeful, and to bring peace. We plead with our
covenant God to manifest the majesty of his name, to maintain his fidelity as
our covenant partner, and to bring peace from his loving heart of compassion.

Signed by Officers of Synod 2004