From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Absent Delegates at LWF Assembly Say 'We Are Still Pained by

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:25:07 -0700

Absent Delegates at LWF Assembly Say 'We Are Still Pained by This Wound'
Indian Churches Dispute Canadian Government Explanation for Visa Denials

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia/GENEVA, 15 June 2004 (LWI) * Representatives of
Lutheran churches in India still feel hurt about being barred by the
Canadian government from attending the July 2003 Tenth Assembly of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF). The LWF must take steps to ensure such a
scandal does not recur, said the United Evangelical Lutheran Church in
India (UELCI) Executive Secretary, Rev. Chandran Paul Martin.

Twenty-seven participants from India were denied visas to attend the
Assembly in Winnipeg, Canada, along with some 30 participants from several
African and Asian countries. They were refused visas despite assurances
from the sending church in India, from the Assembly host church Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada, and LWF Geneva Secretariat.

Martin does not regard the matter as closed. "We are still pained by this
wound," he told Lutheran World Information (LWI) during the Asian Church
Leadership Conference (ACLC), which he was attending in early June in Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia.

"We would like this wound to be healed." However, the UELCI has still not
received any written explanation of the decision either from the Canadian
government or the High Commission in New Delhi. Martin personally had
traveled to the Indian capital from the church's secretariat in Chennai to
submit the batch of 27 visa applications.

The only clue as to the Canadian authorities' reason for rejecting the
Indian requests was a mark on each applicant's form, indicating that the
authorities were not convinced the applicants would return to their home
country. Martin is still scornful: "We were insulted by this criterion."

Five other Assembly participants from India who made separate applications
were issued visas by the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi and were
thus able to travel to Winnipeg. This contradicted the Canadian
authorities' wholesale rejection of the applications submitted by the
UELCI, Martin said. The would-be participants included several veteran
church leaders with decades of experience as international travelers.

Martin lauded the several ways in which the Assembly delegates remembered
the absent participants in Winnipeg. He was also grateful to LWF General
Secretary Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko for his support. During a visit to India
last November, Noko told UELCI officials that he was still in touch with
the Canadian government over the visa denials.

Call for Future Government Assurances

When the LWF decides on venues of its international meetings in the future,
it must insist on assurances from each host country's government that visas
would be issued to all participants, the UELCI executive secretary said.
Countries whose governments were unwilling to accept all participants
should be avoided, Martin stressed.

The Indian delegates who could not travel to Winnipeg agreed at the time
that they would back all decisions taken by the Assembly. "Maybe some
elections would have been different if we had been there," mused Martin,
who was appointed to serve on the LWF Council.

Several Lutheran churches in India staged retreats and other events at the
time to pray for the Assembly. "In a way we were not too far away," the
UELCI executive secretary concluded. (525 words)

(See Message from the LWF Tenth Assembly at
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/PDFs/LWF_Assembly_Message.pdf
and Statement on the Exclusion of Assembly Participants at
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/PDFs/LWF-Resolutions_and_Statements.pdf

(By Amsterdam-based LWI correspondent Andreas Havinga, who attended the
ACLC.)

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund (Sweden), the LWF now has 136 member
churches in 76 countries representing 62.3 million of the almost 66 million
Lutherans worldwide. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in areas
of common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith relations, theology,
humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various
aspects of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in
Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service. Unless
specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or
opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an
article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced
with acknowledgment.]

LWI online at: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org