From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Denominational Magazine Gets New Editor, Wider Circulation

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:16:07 -0400

Grand Rapids, Mich., June 16, 2004 - Synod 2004 interviewed and approved Rev.
Robert De Moor as editor of the Christian Reformed Church's magazine, The
Banner.  They also approved a proposal to change The Banner from a
subscription-based magazine to one that is sent to every member's home.

De Moor said that he hopes The Banner will be a place where CRC members can
talk together as a family, like a discussion across a kitchen table. "My
vision for the magazine is that it will not only be a source for information,
but that it will also continue to be, as it always has been, a pulpit within
the CRC," he said.

De Moor comes to the position after serving as a pastor for 20 years and
spending eight years as the Editor-in-Chief of Faith Alive Christian
Resources.  He has been interim Banner editor for nine months.

The decision to send The Banner to every household comes in the context of a
declining and aging subscriber base.  Getting The Banner into the hands of
every member is seen as one way to reverse this trend and promote a strong
denominational identity.

Rev. Andrew Zantingh of Classis Hamilton said he is typical of a younger
generation.  "If (The Banner) is in front of me, I'll read it," he said.  "If
it is not, I probably won't pay for it."

Other delegates also said the church cannot afford to let The Banner die.

The every household Banner is scheduled to come into effect in April of 2005.

Synod reconvened this morning to discuss interdenominational matters such as
the Heidelberg Catechism's description of Roman Catholic mass and
participation in inter-faith worship services.

Contact Henry Hess or Kristen DeRoo VanderBerg at (616) 526-8652