From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Executive shows how it's done

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:13:22 -0500

Note #8286 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04300
June 21, 2004

Executive shows how it's done

Stockdale says respect, leadership are keys to immigrant ministry

by Jerry L. Van Marter

SEATTLE - Boyd Stockdale is just about the only Presbyterian in Seattle who
is reluctant to talk about his role as a catalyst for the explosive growth of
ethnic and new immigrant congregations in Seattle Presbytery.

	"Boyd immediately saw the possibilities for a Persian ministry here,"
says Mansour Khajehpour, lay pastor of the Persian Presbyterian Church of the
Good Shepherd. "He got us through Commission Lay Pastor training, so our
church could grow and thrive."

	Kolinus Buntaran, pastor of the Indonesian congregation at Wedgewood
Presbyterian Church, says he came to Seattle from central California about
the same time Stockdale arrived from Sacramento. "Working with Boyd, it
seemed that God was opening the door for us to be a PC(USA) congregation," he
says.

	Luz Maria Cabrera of The People's Seminary, which provides
theological education and leadership training to Hispanic lay leaders, says
Stockdale "has demonstrated to us that the Presbyterians are unique in their
openness to Hispanic ministry."

	What's his secret?

"Learning through experience - and our many mistakes," Stockdale says with a
smile. But it's deeper than that.

	Genuine hospitality and a desire to learn are key components.

	"Their culture is vital to them and is the only lens through which
they can see the future," Stockdale says of immigrant groups. "Hospitality is
to learn, respect and value that culture. I have long been convinced that we
will know more of God when there are more cultures reflecting together."

	Stockdale has identified eight principles of ethnic and new-immigrant
ministry. Seattle Presbytery has parlayed them into an unmatched record of
church growth among ethnic and new immigrant groups. They are:

1. Receive, support and listen to these new immigrants. Expect to learn more
about the faith from them. Don't assume that they'll adapt to our systems
quickly.

2. Identify the leadership in the community, respect the leaders and invite
them and their community into our community - without imposing our standards
or qualifications.

3. Meet the basic needs of the leaders of these communities and help them
learn what it means to be Presbyterian.

4. Identify the needs of the community and start immediately to address them.

5. Learn the values of the immigrant culture, memorize some key phrases in
that community's language, and find people fluent in that language to work
with them.

6. It is all about relationships. Build them carefully and deliberately and
never violate their trust.

7. Be excited about the opportunity to welcome these people of God and to
enter the adventure of new life, energy and learning. Celebrate the wonderful
gifts God showers on us.

8. Learn about these new communities of immigrants from the immigrants
themselves, and follow their leadership in connecting to the community.