From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

European Constitution: Major step in European integration

From "Ruth Gill" <rag@cec-kek.org>
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:03:05 +0200

Conference of European Churches - Office of Communications
Press Release No. 04-30/ef			 19 June 2004

THE EUROPEAN CONSTITUTION: A MAJOR STEP IN THE EUROPEAN
INTEGRATION PROCESS AND A CHALLENGE FOR THE FUTURE

CEC welcomes the Adoption of the EU Constitution by the
Inter-Governmental Conference

"We welcome the adoption of a European Constitution by the EU
Heads of Government in Brussels yesterday," said Rev. Dr Keith
Clements, General Secretary of the Conference of European
Churches (CEC). "After a first attempt at adopting the
Constitution failed last December this is an important step
towards building a more integrated Europe. We want to
congratulate the members of the European Convention on the Future
of Europe, which laid the basis for the adopted text, and
especially the Irish Presidency for its indefatigable efforts to
tackle the remaining differences between the EU member states."

The Conference of European Churches and its 125 member churches
from the Anglican, Old-Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant
traditions monitored the development of the European Constitution
very closely. Rev. Rudiger Noll, Director of CEC's Church and
Society Commission added: "For us as churches it is very
important that the European Union is more than just an economic
model to increase competitiveness in the global market. Therefore
we are pleased that, according to Article I-2 and I-3 of the
final text, the Union is now clearly based on common values and
objectives. In this regard the incorporation of the Charter of
Fundamental Rights is of equal importance. We are pleased that
the policy of the European Union and its implementation by member
states will have to be based on and measured by these
legally-binding standards, which protect human rights and human
dignity."

Similarly, the churches appreciate that the Constitution
introduces qualified majority voting and a strengthened role for
the European Parliament in the areas of asylum and migration.

The Conference of European Churches through its Church and
Society Commission submitted several contributions to the
Convention on the Future of Europe and the respective EU
Presidencies. ( cf. the CEC website: http://www.cec-kek.org ) In
accordance with these submissions, CEC in particular welcomes the
strengthening of the social dimension of EU policies and action
in the last version of the text.  Throughout the process CEC has
called for the social dimension to be an integral part of and a
yardstick for any EU policy and its implementation.

However, many churches were dismayed that the European Union,
which according to its stated objectives is committed to
contributing to peace and security (Article I-3) and which
started as a peace and reconciliation project after two
devastating World Wars, is so greatly emphasising improvement to
"military capabilities" in member states (Article I-40) instead
of highlighting commitment to conflict prevention as expressed by
the European Council in G"teborg (2001).

A positive aspect of the newly adopted Constitution is that it
more clearly defines the competences of the EU Institutions and
member states, it simplifies the legal procedures and strengthens
the rights and involvement of the European Parliament and civil
society. These are positive developments and important
pre-conditions for allowing greater participation of citizens in
the European integration process.

In the light of the identity of the churches and their specific
contribution to the integration process on the European level as
well in the various European countries and societies, the
churches in particular welcome the inclusion of Article I-51 in
the Constitution, in which the Union respects the status of
churches and communities of faith and conviction under national
law. It also commits the Union to "maintain an open, transparent
and regular dialogue" with the churches and religious
communities. This article creates the legal basis for the
participation of churches and religious communities in all their
diversity in the process.  The Conference of European Churches
will continue to strengthen and to contribute to this open,
transparent and regular dialogue.

Despite the recognition of the identity and the special
contribution of churches in Europe in Article I-51, many of CEC's
member churches would have welcomed an explicit reference to the
Christian roots of Europe in the Preamble of the Constitution.

In spite of positive signs the project of the EU constitution
revealed failures in discussions about Europe's future. The
project was unable to sufficiently inspire the EU's citizens in
'bringing Europe closer to its citizens'. The low voter turnout,
notably in the new member countries, for the elections for the
European Parliament last weekend was a clear indication of that.

With the adoption of the Constitution in the Inter-Governmental
Conference, the process has not ended; it has reached a new
stage. "Much will now depend on how the European Institutions
themselves as well as politicians will be able to make European
citizens identify with the European integration process and the
European Constitution. This is an important challenge not only in
the light of forthcoming referenda on the Constitution in many
European countries. This is probably the most important challenge
for the European integration process as a whole," the Director of
CEC's Church and Society Commission added.

* * * *

The Conference of European Churches (CEC) is a fellowship of
some 125 Orthodox, Protestant, Anglican and Old Catholic Churches
from all countries of Europe, plus 40 associated organisations.
CEC was founded in 1959. It has offices in Geneva, Brussels and
Strasbourg.

For further information:
CEC Church & Society Commission - Brussels
Telephone: +32 2 234 6833
Fax: + 32 2 231 14 13
E-mail:csc@cec-kek.be