From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] National offering receives $227,000

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:33:54 -0500

	 <http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	June 25, 2004 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 57

	National offering tops $227,000 before convention

	More than $227,000 already has been received for the "One
Mission Ablaze! National Offering," in response to a mailing to 345,000
Synod donors in May.

	Related mailings also were sent to LCMS national convention
delegates and to all 6,100 Synod congregations, and offering envelopes
were included in a special June/July issue of "The Lutheran Witness"
magazine.

	Funds raised through the national offering will be divided
equally among LCMS World Mission, LCMS World Relief/Human Care and the
Board for Higher Education's "For the Sake of the Church" initiative,
and will be used to complement outreach in various ways, including
providing human-care assistance and training church workers through the
Concordia University System.

	Terry Whittle, senior vice president of marketing and
communications for the LCMS Foundation, which organized the mailings,
said the campaign was intended to be widespread "so that the whole
church has an opportunity to participate in the national offering."

	Congregations are being asked to send their contributions to the
Synod convention with area delegates, who will turn them in during the
opening worship service on July 11. Planners with "One Mission Ablaze!"
are hoping to raise at least $1 million, Whittle said.

	The mailings to donors and congregations included a letter from
Synod President Gerald Kieschnick; Dr. Robert Roegner, executive
director of LCMS World Mission; Rev. Matthew Harrison, executive
director of LCMS World Relief/Human Care; and Dr. William Meyer,
president of the Concordia University System, inviting recipients to
contribute to "the greatest single gathering of gifts that our church
has ever witnessed."

	"'One Mission Ablaze!' is our Synod's opportunity to ignite a
world in need of the Good News of salvation through Christ," the letter
states. "We are dedicated to a national offering to seek, to serve and
to share Christ with our neighbors, whether across the street, across
the district or across the world."

	Kieschnick said the national offering is "very, very important"
if the Synod and its partners around the globe are serious about Ablaze!
-- a movement started by LCMS World Mission to reach 100 million people
with the Gospel by 2017. There is a need, Kieschnick said, "to assist
the pastors, educators and laypeople of our Synod with resources,
materials and training to accomplish this monumental task.

	"Also, in my visits with leaders of our 28 sister churches in
different corners of the globe, I have become convinced that they are
looking to the LCMS for the provision of such tools for the
encouragement and proper motivation for their leaders and members, as
well," he said. "Missionary support and the development of new
congregations in our country and beyond require significant financial
resources."

	According to Roegner, only 21 cents of every dollar spent on
world-mission efforts is derived in the traditional way -- from offering
plate, to district, to national Synod.

	"That means that, of every dollar we have to spend, we have to
raise 79 cents," said Roegner. When you have an annual budget in excess
of $22 million -- the budget for LCMS World Mission for the 2004-05
fiscal year -- that's a significant amount of money to derive from
individual donors, mission societies, foundations and others, he said.

	"Without it, we would have only 21 cents of every dollar to
spend, which would significantly change what we do in mission around the
world."

	Roegner said he is "humbled and amazed at how far the Ablaze!
vision has already been carried throughout the world." A significant
number of mission partners -- both in the United States and abroad --
are "actively involved or are looking for ways to become involved in
Ablaze!," he said.

	To contribute directly to "One Mission Ablaze!," send your
offering, made payable to "One Mission Ablaze!," to The Lutheran
Church--Missouri Synod, P.O. Box 790231, St. Louis, MO 63179-9723.

	For more information, visit catalog.lcms.org
<http://catalog.lcms.org>  on the Web.

	If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
		Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=2008>	with a friend.

MessageId=2008 UserId=10073
  _____

Design ) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.