From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: 2005 Biennial Meeting Program Planning Continues

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:53:35 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Green Lake, Wis. 6/25/04)--The Biennial
Program Committee, charged with developing thematic and programmatic elements
for the 2005 Biennial Meeting of American Baptist Churches USA in Denver,
Colo., continued its work here this week.

In sessions June 22-23 the committee further developed components that relate
to a theme of "Lift Up Your Eyes" and the Scripture text of Psalm 121.	The
event will run from 3 p.m. Friday, July 1 through 9 p.m. Sunday, July 3, 2005
at the Colorado Convention Center in downtown Denver.

In their work this week committee members refined planning for evening
worship sessions, Bible studies, workshops, options for dialog and
discussion, and mission opportunities, among other areas.  Worship speakers
have been confirmed: the Rev. Leroy Gilbert, pastor of the Mt. Gilead Baptist
Church, Washington, D.C., and the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, general secretary
of ABCUSA, on Friday, July 1; the Rev. Dr. Molly T. Marshall, professor of
theology and spiritual formation and acting academic dean at Central Baptist
Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Kans., on Saturday, July 2; and Philip
Yancey, author (Rumors of Another World, etc.) and editor-at-large at
Christianity Today, on Sunday, July 3.

The Denver Biennial Meeting will, among other opportunities, offer a venue
for lifting up the resulting proposed vision statement growing out of  "Seek
It: Finding God's Way for a New Day."  This unprecedented denomination-wide
process of spiritual discernment, launched late last year, was based on
prayer and conversations with thousands of American Baptists and culminated
in a celebrative "Seek It Summit" here June 18-21.

Further development of the program and its specific worship, mission and
business components will be undertaken by the committee and its executive
committee here in November.

The American Baptist Churches of the Rocky Mountains, one of 35 regions
within American Baptist Churches USA, will host the July 2005 national
gathering.  The region includes 103 congregations and about 28,000 members in
Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, eastern Idaho and eastern Utah.	Previously
national gatherings of American Baptists in Denver were held in 1919, 1929,
1953 and 1972.

The Rev. H. A. "Hank" Pedersen, pastor emeritus of Shawomet Baptist Church in
Warwick, R.I., is serving as chair of the Biennial Program Committee.
Pedersen, who was Local Arrangements chair for the American Baptist Biennial
Meeting in Providence, R.I., in 2001, noted that daily emphases had been
determined: "Friday--who and where we are in the grace of God;
Saturday--looking up to our God and understanding our relationship better;
Sunday--who God wants us to be and who God wants us to serve."

Pedersen said, "We determined to be intentional in our offerings this year.
We will support the Baptist World Alliance with one (the BWA will be
celebrating its 100th anniversary), our youth ministries with another (we are
emphasizing the place our youth have in our denomination throughout the
Biennial), and the third will be for a local ministry or mission project in
the Denver area."

Other members of the committee include Keiko Chew, Oakland, Calif.; the Rev.
Herschell Daney, Sand Springs, Okla.; Jessica Echard, Arlington, Va.; Dr.
Priscilla Eppinger, Lamoni, Ia.; Dr. Paul Hayes, Suffield, Ct.; Manuel
Hernandez, Portage, Ind.; Manuel Luquin, San Pedro, Calif.; Sue MacDonald,
Ronks, Pa.; the Rev. Kevin Rose, Indianapolis, Ind.; the Rev. Francine Stark,
Chicago, Ill.; Larry Willison, Canvas, W.V.

Also involved in the planning are Peggy Johnson, president of ABCUSA, North
Kingston, R.I.; the Rev. Arlee Griffin Jr., vice president of ABCUSA,
Brooklyn, N.Y.; the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, general secretary of ABCUSA; Dr.
Louise Barger, executive minister of ABC of the Rocky Mountains; the Rev.
Paul A. Martin, pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church, Denver, and chair of the
Local Arrangements Committee; Chap. Jan McCormack, vice president of ABC of
the Rocky Mountains; and Nichole Kobia and Linda Scherr, ABC of the Rocky
Mountains staff.

Assisting in the planning is a staff advisory group comprised of the Rev.
Beverlee Everett, assistant Biennial program coordinator and General Board
administrator, Office of the General Secretary; Dr. Perry J. Hopper,
associate executive director, The Ministers and Missionaries Benefit Board;
Karen Mason, director of special events and promotion, International
ministries; Laura Miraz, associate executive director/ Missionary Support
Services, National Ministries; Annie Marcucci, director of Travel and
Conference Planning, Office of the General Secretary; and Richard Schramm,
Biennial program coordinator and deputy general secretary for communication,
Office of the General Secretary.  David Greenfield, a layman and former
General Board member from Bloomington, Ill., is serving as production
consultant for the 2005 Biennial Meeting.  Constance Wilkins, minister of
music at Macedonia Baptist Church in Denver, is serving as music consultant.