From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: National Ministries Announces Appeal to Support NEW LIFE 2010

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:59:05 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Green Lake, Wis. 6/26/04)--At the semiannual
meeting of the Board of National Ministries, American Baptist Churches USA,
that concluded today, Executive Director Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III
announced the appeal, "Sharing New Life: $20.10 for 2010," to enable growth
and renewal in churches across the United States.

The appeal will support NEW LIFE 2010, the vision that by the year 2010
American Baptists will have planted 1,010 churches, reached 1,000,010 new
disciples, launched a multitude of caring ministries and transformed
individuals and congregations.

"We are serious about NEW LIFE 2010," Wright-Riggins said. "I was a new
church planter, and it was one of the most difficult challenges of my life.
We have brilliant men and women who are putting their lives on the line, who
have traded in full-time corporate jobs to establish and create vibrant
congregations. We need to be supportive of these folks."

NEW LIFE 2010 calls on each American Baptist to help fulfill the Great
Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), the Great Commandment (Mark 12:28-34) and the
Great Criteria (Matthew 25:31ff). It is a Christ-centered response to a
serious crisis confronting 21st century America: Today the United States is
the third largest un-churched and un-discipled mission field in the world. If
Christians do nothing to reverse current trends, church membership will drop
from 42 percent of the population to 15 percent or lower by 2010-a decline of
65 percent in just 18 years.

The "Sharing New Life: $20.10 for 2010" appeal has grown from the suggestion
of an American Baptist pastor and National Ministries executive committee
member, the Rev. Jackie Thompson. During discussion of lack of funds for
planting churches during a recent meeting, Thompson spoke of her commitment
to NEW LIFE 2010: "It's the best thing that's happened to American Baptist
Churches USA in a very long time," she said. "Why don't we simply ask every
American Baptist we come in contact with to make a one-time $20.10
contribution?"

Thompson laid the first $20.10 on the table, then Wright-Riggins added the
last $20 bill from his wallet and David Blythe, president of National
Ministries' board, placed $20.10 on the table, along with an additional dime
to match Wright-Riggins' bill. As this story has been shared with the General
Executive Council of American Baptist Churches USA and regional executive
ministers, more 20-dollar bills, dimes and checks in the amount of $20.10
have flowed into National Ministries' offices.

With the "Sharing New Life: $20.10 for 2010" appeal, said Wright-Riggins, "We
dare to believe that God calls us to share in God's mission in the world
through the establishment and creation of vibrant congregations.
Congregations where every member is a disciple of Jesus Christ, inviting
others into a personal relationship with him, bridging the distances that
separate people, and transforming their communities and the world."

Resources related to "Sharing New Life: $20.10 for 2010" will soon be mailed
to all American Baptist congregations. Also, information is available from
Tia McCoun at 1-800-ABC-3USA/x2148 or tia.mccoun@abc-usa.org.