From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Whats a YAD?

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:03:59 -0500

Note #8295 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Whats a YAD?
GA04005
June 26, 2004

Whats a YAD?

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, June 26  What is a YAD? (Pick one.)

*A carbonated beverage
*A computer hardware component
*A young Presbyterian
*A board game

For those of you unfamiliar with the Presbyterian Church (USA) General
Assembly experience, YADs are Youth Advisory Delegates  presbytery-elected
high school- and college-age commissioners who add a youthful voice and a
valuable perspective to the Assembly.

This years Assembly includes 165 YADs from the PC(USA)s 173 presbyteries.
Like their adult commissioner counterparts, YADs are assigned to committees
and attend all plenary sessions. In committee, they have full voice and
vote during deliberations. In plenary sessions they have voice, but vote in
a separate YAD tally that is only advisory.

YADs also elect their own moderator, hold their own caucuses and offer
prayers during plenary sessions.

During an early-morning orientation session on June 26, this years YADs got
basic instructions in navigating the Assembly  advice about transportation,
how to dress, where to chow down, how to make their views known on the
Assembly floor.

I hope to learn about the polity and governance of the Presbyterian Church,
said Princeton seminarian Ruth-Aimee Belonni, 23, of Puerto Rico Presbytery.
She said she is also interested in how the opinions of U.S. Presbyterians
differ from those of Puerto Rican Presbyterians.

Dan Murphy-Cairns, of Tucson, AZ and de Cristo Presbytery, said he is excited
about learning more about the roles young Presbyterians are called to play.

I am interested in the voice of reconciliation and respect that youth can
offer the Assembly, he said. We (youth) can disagree, but in the end we are
still brothers and sisters, friend, and Presbyterians.

Youth are often called the future of the church, but we are here now,
said Murphy-Cairns. We can think theologically, and can contribute now.

Belonni added, It is a privilege to be elected to serve Christ and the
church and provide the thoughts and experiences that only we youth can
bring.

YADs can be identified by their navy blue name badges. Please make them
welcome as contributors to the PC(USA)s governing process.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216.htm.