From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] 3 scientists honored as Women of Faith

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:19:40 -0500

Note #8311 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

3 scientists honored as Women of Faith
GA04020
June 27, 2004

3 scientists honored as Women of Faith

Award-winners count Christian upbringing among keys to their success

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, June 27 - More than 200 Presbyterians gathered at sunrise Sunday to
celebrate the work and ministries of three extraordinary women at the 19th
annual Women of Faith Awards breakfast.

This year's winners were honored for their important contributions in the
fields of science, technology and engineering.

Christine Mann Darden is assistant director of the Langley Research Center, a
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) facility in Hampton, VA.
She earned her doctorate in mechanical engineering at George Washington
University. She said her "tapestry of faith and work" philosophy has enabled
her to overcome the twin barriers of racial and gender discrimination.

She has won numerous awards for her work in aerospace research and has
mentored many young colleagues, especially aspiring African-American
scientists.

"My faith and Christian principles have sustained me in my work and my
relationships," she said.

Rogene F. Henderson, a toxicologist with a doctorate in chemistry from the
University of Texas, is a senior scientist at the Lovelace Respiratory
Research Institute in Albuquerque, NM, a non-profit facility that specializes
in research in respiratory health.

Henderson also is director of the Lovelace Symposium, which focuses on
research in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of respiratory disease.
She has developed a number of "biomarkers" that indicate exposure to airborne
pollutants that contribute to respiratory disease. She also has published
more than 230 scientific papers, and has mentored many younger scientists.

"In my work," she said, "I have the great privilege of finding out how God
made us so wondrously."

Ruth Rivera Lane is founder, president and CEO of AllOut Marketing Inc., in
Wayzata, MN, a firm that offers marketing services to companies in the fields
of medical technology, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics. She
has degrees in biochemistry and medical technology. During her 30-year career
she has bridged the gap between science and patient care. She also is the
founder of the Professional Organization for Women Entrepreneurs, which
supports women business owners.

"Early in life, I absorbed faith-based principles that sustain me still,"
Lane said. "I serve the global community by bringing scientific advancements
to the market."

All three are elders in their Presbyterian Church (USA) congregations and
have been active in regional governing bodies.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216.htm.