From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] 'All about being pastoral'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:58:31 -0500

Note #8312 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

'All about being pastoral'
GA04021
June 27, 2004

'All about being pastoral'

Ufford-Chase says he'll 'grab a-hold of' chance to serve PC(USA)

by Shane Whisler

RICHMOND June 27 - In his first post-election press conference, Rick
Ufford-Chase proved himself to be a man of few words.

He offered only a two-sentence, 76-word statement before asking the assembled
reporters for questions.

"The Presbyterian Church (USA) is alive and excited about its mission in the
world, and I am so glad to be a part of that," he said. "I'm looking forward
to all the opportunities that I can grab a-hold of to help Presbyterians
cross borders and get out into the world and show who Jesus calls us to be."

The young moderator, an elder from Tucson, AZ, said he wasn't really
surprised to be elected but is grateful for the "opportunity to serve God's
church and to serve the needs of the Assembly."

Ufford-Chase said he felt that the Holy Spirit was at work when the Rev.
Patricia Mason of Pittsburgh Presbytery agreed to put his name in nomination.
He had said during the election that, although he and Mason have differing
views on several church issues, including those having to do with
PC(USA)ordination standards, their common interest in healing divisions in
the church is an important bond.

Asked how the church can energize its young people - something he said he
will work to do - Ufford-Chase answered: "Oh, goodness. It is hard to imagine
what God might have in store for us, isn't it? I hope that we will take this
opportunity seriously."

He said tapping the energy of young Presbyterians is like catching the crest
of a wave. "I hope this is a sign of God's movement, and that we are prepared
to catch that wave and to ride that wave just as far as we possibly can," he
said. "I think the young people are ready for it, and I think the church can
be energized by it."

He said he hopes to double the number of people participating in Young Adult
Volunteer programs. He called such programs "an incredible, mostly unknown
opportunity for young people" in the denomination.

Being the first two-year moderator presents both challenges and blessings, he
said. He said his commitments to his BorderLinks ministry and to his family -
his wife, Kitty, and their 9-year-old son, Teo - will require him to limit
travel to two weeks of each month. He said he understands that the position
of vice moderator will be "beefed-up" to ease the travel burden on the
moderator.

Ufford-Chase, who is known as "the Energizer Bunny" in his border ministry
because he "keeps going and going," said: "I'm known for my ability to burn
the candle at both ends. I intend to do that, and to give my heart and soul
and all of my energy to the church during those times on, and then to ask for
time with my family as well, because I think that's what God intends for us."

He said he likes to preach, and doing so on the road might moderate his
tendency to "lecture" at home, and that might please his wife. That prompted
Kitty Ufford-Chase to make a statement in support of her husband.

"I just want to say that ...13 years ago, I picked Rick, and there's not been
a moment since that time that I have regretted it," she said. "I know the
church that picked Rick tonight will not regret it for one single moment for
the next two years."

When asked how Ufford-Chase's closest allies will react to his pledge not to
use the position of moderator to advance the cause of changing the
denomination's ordination standards, the Moderator said, "My clear commitment
is to be as absolutely fair as I possibly can, to make sure that everyone
gets heard."

"When asked my personal opinion, I will share it," he said. "My further
commitment ... is that we have hard work to do, and there are all kinds of
things we can celebrate together."

When asked to elaborate on his call for congregations and individuals to give
up their lives to Jesus Christ and take risks, Ufford-Chase said, "For most
of us ... taking risks means challenging ourselves to let go of comfort, and
thinking about our privilege, and stepping into new and different
situations."

"That's hard work for most of the people I know in the church," he said,
adding that serving  as moderator, in his view, "is all about being
pastoral."

"So let's hold hands and take a deep breath and do it together," he said,
"because that's what Jesus would have us do."

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216.htm.