From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: General Executive Council Issues Statement

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:26:28 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Green Lake, Wis. 6/28/04)--The General
Executive Council of American Baptist Churches USA, meeting here today,
issued the following statement:

"On Friday, June 25, 2004, the Board of International Ministries met in
Executive session to consider the termination of the Rev. Hictor Cortez as
Executive Director.  We affirm that the leadership and members of the Board
pursued this serious matter with diligence and faithfulness.  We affirm that
they are people of integrity and wisdom.   We appreciate that the officers
and the Board sought competent legal advice.

"However, we, the members of the General Executive Council of the ABCUSA, are
concerned about the process as it pertains to the relationships within our
family.  Based upon our perception, we feel that the process did not afford
dignity to the Rev. Cortez.  We grieve the brokenness this has created within
our body and pledge to work for reconciliation and advocate for a better
process in the future."

K/2004ABNS/04ABN81

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org