From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Speaker espouses 'Samaritan theology'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:47:45 -0500

Note #8337 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Speaker espouses 'Samaritan theology'
GA04045
June 29, 2004

Speaker espouses 'Samaritan theology'

God calls us to respond to strangers with joy, not fear, border minister says

by Erin Cox-Holmes

RICHMOND, June 29 - "Samaritan theology" strives to bring to God's attention
those who have been excluded from human communities - and we're all called to
practice it.

That was the message of the Rev. Daisy L. Machado, the keynote speaker at
Tuesday's Voices of Sophia breakfast.

"I want to talk about borders and centers, insiders and outsiders, who
belongs and who doesn't," Machado said, referring to Jesus' parable about the
Good Samaritan who aids a wounded traveler. The Samaritan didn't just ask
religious questions, she said, and wasn't just a "do-gooder." He was
practicing Samaritan theology, which combines works of mercy and risk-taking
- standing with, not only for, the one left for dead.

Machado, the first Latina ordained in the Disciples of Christ and a professor
at Brite Divinity School in Fort Worth, TX, illustrated her message with a
story from her own life. When she was mugged at knife-point, she said, she
was a victim - silent and powerless.

Machado spends much of her time with silent and powerless people living in
shadow communities along the Texas-Mexico border. The Latinos who live in
these towns - even those on the Texas side - often live without running water
or sewer systems. Even though many are second-generation U.S. citizens, their
per-capita income is around $4,000. They live on the margins: economic,
social, political - and religious.

She said these desperate borderlands are in part a byproduct of
"globalization," which sustains a consumer economy that rests on the backs of
workers who are trapped at the bottom.

Machado called for "acompaqamiento," which means joining in another person's
journey.

"It moves into the theological space which rejects human alienation as our
base reality," she said. "A person becomes a person through other persons."
Being in this kind of relationship can be heart-breaking, she said, but it
pays off in hope and hospitality. "We react with joy," she said, "instead of
fear that those who have come in will take over."

Machado's audience responded with laughter and clapping when she pointed out
that "one does not need permission from a denominational authority to do
works of justice and mercy."

Rick Ufford-Chase, the moderator of the General Assembly, spoke briefly,
sharing a moving story about his own border-ministry experience. He later
retook the floor to admit, "I just made the biggest gaffe since I was elected
moderator - when I failed to introduce to the Voices of Sophia the woman who
will function as co-moderator with me."

He said he and Peacock will share the moderator's ministry equally, creating
a new model. Then he retired as gracefully as possible, saying, "Now I'm
going to get out of the way so she can speak."

That brought the biggest ovation of all.

Voices of Sophia is a group of PC(USA) feminists working to transform the
church into a "discipleship of equals."

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.