From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Calendar art is distinctly Chinese

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:58:32 -0500

Note #8339 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Calendar art is distinctly Chinese
GA04047
June 29, 2004

Calendar art is distinctly Chinese

Painter depicts a gospel message directed to all peoples

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, June 29 - The colorful artwork of Dr. He Qi, a professor at China's
Nanjing Union Theological Seminary, graces the 2004-05 Presbyterian Planning
Calendar.

During a presentation at the 216th General Assembly, Qi noted that many
people in the Chinese Christian community do not care for his work,
preferring the likes of Italian Renaissance art to interpret their faith.

Qi, who is both artist and art historian, pointed out that 16th-century
Italian artists often  chose to not use 1st-century scenes but portrayed the
gospel message through depictions of contemporary people, settings and dress.
Artists throughout the ages have depicted the good news by means of cultural
traits with which they were familiar.

Qi has done the same, employing an authentic indigenous style for his Chinese
Christian art.

He employs a variety of traditional Chinese forms and materials in his
artwork. At the same time, he freely incorporates global stylistic techniques
ranging from flat Egyptian profiles to modern Cubism, and everything in
between.

The characters in Qi's works are clearly Chinese. They wear Chinese clothing
and move through a world of Chinese landscapes and architecture. The
time-honored Chinese colors of blue, green, and red are brilliantly
incorporated in Qi's gouache paintings. He also brings the ancient methods of
tight, hand-worked silk to his rich tapestries.

Chinese often feel that Christianity belongs to Western cultures, Qi said,
but "I think the gospel message belongs to the Chinese people as well. I wish
to use my artwork to change ordinary Chinese opinions. I want people to say,
'Oh, I recognize this, and it makes sense.'"

Indeed, Qi's portrayals of Biblical characters remind us that Christ belongs
to all peoples, that Christ is God's Word for the whole world.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.