From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:54:31 -0500

Note #8345 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations
GA04053
June 29, 2004

Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations

by Emily Enders Odom

RICHMOND, June 29 - The Committee on Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations
approved part of an overture calling on the Presbyterian Church (USA) to
study the relationship between Christians and Jews, but turned down another
part that asked for a suspension of General Assembly funding for future
"Messianic congregations" until the study is completed.

Joe Small, director of the PC(USA) Office of Theology and Worship, had said
the nature of Messianic congregations is "the most deeply theological
significant issue that you will have to deal with in this Assembly." It
occupied the committee for more than three hours.

The Rev. Grayson Van Camp, who is in specialized ministry on the staff of
McCormick Theological Seminary, said: "The PC(USA) has not implemented a
policy encouraging new church developments around distinct religious
identities. We are concerned that if GA funding is used to establish such
congregations ... that will establish precedent, and precedent can establish
policy."

Mission Advisory Delegate Bernie Adeney said: "I would prefer that this
committee not send a national message to the world that we reject Jewish
Christians who want to retain their Jewish cultural identity while being
Presbyterians."

One observer who was "bitterly disappointed" by the committee's action was
Rabbi Gilbert S. Rosenthal, executive director of the National Council of
Synagogues, who said: "I think the Presbyterian Church (USA) seems to be
rolling back the clock forty years and negating much of the extraordinary
progress that has been made during that time. The so-called Messianic church
Avodat Yisrael outside of Philadelphia has added to the sense of retreat."
Rosenthal said that congregation is "neither fish nor fowl."

The committee also voted to approve a report and policy statement that would
amend the preface to the Book of Confessions in order to explain the nature
and origin of anti-Roman Catholic language in the confessions; and received
and approved a report on the Review of the National Council of Churches of
Christ in the USA.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.