From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Nebraska ELCA Congregation Recipient Of Accessibility Award

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:38:38 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 30, 2004

Nebraska ELCA Congregation Recipient Of Accessibility Award
04-129-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Sheridan Lutheran Church, Lincoln, Neb., is the
recipient of the 2004 Accessibility Award given annually to a congregation
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) that demonstrates
care and concern for people who are physically and mentally disabled.  The
award is given to one congregation with innovative practices in building
accessibility, programs and shared ministry to meet special needs, and
overall hospitality.
     "The Accessibility Award is important for two reasons," said the Rev.
Lisa T. Cleaver, director for disability ministries, ELCA Division for
Church in Society.  "First, it brings awareness to ELCA's congregations
about the need to be totally accessible and inclusive of all people who
are differently-abled. Second, it provides examples of some of the
excellent work that is being done in the area of disability ministries."
     In addition, three other congregations were cited with honorable
mentions. They are First Lutheran Church, Topeka, Kan.; Grace Lutheran
Church, Hartford, Conn.; and St. Michael's Lutheran Church, Philadelphia,
Pa.
     The awards were determined by an interunit selection committee made
up of churchwide staff, Cleaver said.
     At Sheridan Lutheran Church, members and visitors will find special
parking for people who are disabled, a wheelchair accessible entrance and
rest rooms, and special hearing devices, said Cheri R. Peterson, the
congregation's share care, older adult and health ministries coordinator.
Large screens are in the worship center for easy viewing, signers are
provided regularly for those with hearing impairments, pews have been
removed or reduced in size to accommodate wheelchairs, and an automatic
door-opener has been installed to provide accessibility to the building,
Peterson wrote in the congregation's application.
     Sheridan has maintained a ministry to serve hearing-impaired people
for 25 years, she said.  Recently it obtained a church bus with a
wheelchair lift, she said.  It also provides people who assist people at
home.
     "We have a trained group of volunteers who will go into homes and
install home safety improvements as needed to allow person[s] to remain in
their own homes as long as possible," Peterson said.  The program --
CHERISH (Churches Helping Elderly Reside in Safe Homes) --  is funded in
part with a grant from Immanuel Health Systems of Nebraska, affiliated
with the ELCA Nebraska Synod, Omaha.
     Sheridan maintains a "lending stockpile" of home health aids.  "We
encourage members to donate no-longer-needed health equipment such as
walkers, wheelchairs, crutches and bath aids, and then [we] lend this
equipment to others in need," Peterson said.
     "We have purchased a new wheelchair, walker with a seat, cane and
other aids for lending." The congregation has three wheelchairs available
for worshippers to use.
     Hospitality volunteers and ushers have been educated to help them as
they greet people with various disabilities, Peterson said.  A gardening
group was formed to plant gardens for people who visit homes or provide
care to others, so they can take the flowers to the people whom they
contact, she said.
     The congregation is also the recipient of gifts from people with
special needs who are served by the congregation.  People in the
congregation's deaf community manage fund-raisers to benefit the
congregation and the people it serves.	Members who are elderly and
disabled lead prayer chains and visit others.
     "Our youth invite, eat with and play bingo with elderly and disabled
[people]," Peterson said.  "They write family history and faith stories
for them. Youth and their families also participate in our "Hand-in-Hand"
ministry by making craft gifts, writing Bible and inspirational verses,
and making visits to deliver these along with fresh flowers and homemade
bread."
     The church's inclusive ministry is part of its responsibility to
reach out to the community to share a "rich and warm" worship experience,
Peterson said.	Still, there is much more to do, she said.
     "Our members need to do more for our church to reach out to the
disabled," Peterson said.  "We learn so much from them about our own faith
walks, and learn to look at life from a different perspective."
     Pastors serving Sheridan Lutheran Church are the Rev. Larry D.
Arganbright and the Rev. Gregory S. Bouvier.
---
     Information about the ELCA Disability ministries, including an "ELCA
Accessibility Guide" is at http://www.elca.org/dcs/epr/disability/ on the
ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news