From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Ivory backs 'Prevention First' legislation

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:41:59 -0500

Note #8358 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Ivory backs 'Prevention First' legislation
GA04065
June

Ivory backs 'Prevention First' legislation

Chief of Washington Office says bill would cut number of abortions

by Bill Lancaster

RICHMOND, June 30 - Elenora Giddings Ivory, the director of the Washington
Office of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and chair of the Council of Governors
of the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Issues, supported "Putting
Prevention First" legislation intended to reduce the number of abortions
performed in the United States.

"I wish we were more on the offensive than the defensive on this," Ivory said
in an address at Tuesday's Women's Ministries luncheon.  We (in the
denomination) have no official statements on 'Putting Prevention First, Ivory
added.

She said the bill "may not see the light of day unless we push Congress" to
enact it.

The bill proposes seven preventive measures: increasing funding for Title X,
which provides services to women; expanding Medicaid family planning
services; requiring private health plans to cover prescription
contraceptives; providing $10 million for education about emergency
contraception; requiring hospitals to provide emergency contraception on
request to victims of rape; spending $100 million to support state
sex-education programs that include information about both abstinence and
contraception; and providing $20 million in annual funding of teen pregnancy
prevention programs.

Ivory noted that, "since 1973, choice has been affirmed and re-affirmed by
the General Assembly." Responding to criticism of the Washington Office for
its support of abortion rights, she said: "We are simply implementing the
policies of the General Assembly. When the Washington Office is attacked,
they are really attacking you. You approve these policies."

She urged the predominantly female group to support the Freedom of Choice
Act, which would make a woman's right to decide whether to have an abortion
the law of the land. She said there are about 50 bills on abortion before
Congress, and "most would deny the right to choose."

"We need to remain diligent," she said.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.