From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Speaker says 'priesthood of believers' requires

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:38:19 -0500

Note #8364 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Speaker says 'priesthood of believers' requires hospitality, service
GA04070
June 30, 2004

Speaker says 'priesthood of believers' requires hospitality, service

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, June 30 - Commissioners, members, and friends of the National Asian
Presbyterian Council gathered Tuesday evening for fellowship, friendship and
a celebration of unity at the council's annual Assembly dinner.

The Rev. Wayland Wong, pastor of the Chinese Presbyterian Church of Orange
County, CA, delivered the keynote address on "The Priesthood of All
Believers."

Wong, drawing from 1 Peter 2:9, told his listeners, "We need to be preaching
and practicing the priesthood of all believers."  He called on Asian-American
Christians to embrace their call to the twin ministries of inviting people
into the church and providing service.

"God has blessed our Asian-American churches," he said. "Most congregations
are family-oriented and provide great stability. Most were founded by
immigrants who become well-educated and moved into the mainstream of America
within a few generations."

He concluded with a challenge: "Are we, with all the resources God has given
us, using them for the glory of God?"

Closing prayers were offered in Taiwanese, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean and
Filipino. The NAPC's annual conference will be held in Seattle, WA, next
June. For information, contact Shun Chi Wang at the PC(USA)'s Asian
Ministries Office by telephone at (800) 728-7728, ext. 5692, or by email at
shunchiw@ctr.pcusa.org.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.