From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] YADs elect co-moderators

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:18:36 -0500

Note #8365 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

YADs elect co-moderators
GA04071
June 30, 2004

YADs elect co-moderators

Two will lead young idealists who are 'the hope for the church'

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, June 30  - The 165 Youth Advisory Delegates to the 216th General
Assembly elected its co-moderators Saturday evening.

They are Helen Halverson, a 17-year-old high school senior from Cape Coral,
FL, and Anthony Elfering, a 20-year-old student at the University of
Minnesota who hails from Minneapolis.

The two, chosen from a field of about 40 young applicants, are responsible
for planning activities, moderating evening caucus meetings and leading
worship.

Both are attending General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) for the
first time.

"Being chosen as a leader of such a bright, motivated and diverse group of
young people is humbling," Halverson said. She said one of her special
concerns is the rate at which young adults drop out of the church, adding, "I
hope to get some insight as to why this exodus happens." She plans to attend
a small Presbyterian-related college in the fall of 2005 but hasn't decided
which one.

"The YADs really care about this church and have strong opinions," Elfering
said. "I wanted to get involved and help with the youth voice." He said he
believes that voice is important to the diversity of the PC(USA), especially
in its leadership. "I think it's important to encourage and train young
leaders. I see a lot of older, white males in leadership, and that's OK - but
we need a lot of everybody else."

The co-moderators spoke of the idealism their constituents bring to Assembly
proceedings. "This church has raised and fostered bright and intelligent
young people," Halverson said. "Maybe we are here as the hope for the
church."

"Our love for the church matters, and we are pleased that the things that
matter to us matter to so many others," Elfering said.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.