From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Middle East Christians hang tough in tough

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:43:59 -0500

Note #8369 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Middle East Christians hang tough in tough circumstances
GA04075
June 30, 2004

Middle East Christians hang tough in tough circumstances

by Alexa Smith

RICHMOND, June 30  - It was a history lesson in four parts.

The first to speak was the Rev. Younan Shiba, a pastor from a Presbyterian
church in downtown Baghdad. Mary Zumot stood at his side, translating, as he
told about the Iraqi denomination that came into being in the 1920s as a
product of the work of Presbyterian missionaries from Iran.

Then came the Rev. Amanuel Ghareeb, a Presbyterian from Kuwait, who spoke of
the approximately 300,000 Christians in his country.

Then the Rev. Hendrik Shanazarian, of the Armenian Evangelical Church of
Iran, who recounted 175 years of Presbyterian history there.

And finally the Rev. Mitri Raheb, a Lutheran pastor from Bethlehem, the very
birthplace of Christ.

Gathered in a corner of the General Assembly exhibit hall, the men spoke one
by one, surrounded by maps of Palestine, photos of Palestinians and a
gigantic Middle Eastern tapestry whose threads are intertwined like the
history of Christianity in that troubled part of the world.

The Rev. Victor Makari, the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s liaison to the Middle
East, spoke of a "continuous 2,000-year history of uninterrupted witness."

Admittedly there are problems aplenty. Severe legal restraints. Testy
political climates. War. Poverty. Economic instability.

But each man gave thanks to the international church for speaking up for them
in times of trouble - while giving the U.S. government mixed reviews, for its
action and inaction in their homelands.

Said Raheb: "I wish I could say what Amanuel Ghareeb said: That American
troops came to liberate us from Saddam and the Iraqi occupation.
Unfortunately, I cannot say that about American troops. And you know why?
Kuwait is oily. Palestine is only holy."

Raheb went on: "We continue to live under the longest ongoing occupation in
history," referring to the 57-year-long Israeli occupation - and now, the
27-foot security wall the Israeli army is building across the West Bank,
which is swallowing up Palestinian orchards, farms and homes as it goes. Both
subsidized by U.S. dollars.

In the same breath, Raheb told his audience not to stop speaking up, but
rather to raise its voice. "I wish you would challenge both Bush and Kerry to
be as courageous as Ronald Reagan," he said, recalling the former president's
speech at the Brandenburg Gate during the Cold War.

"Tell them to tell Sharon to tear down this wall that is surrounding the
little town of Bethlehem," he said

Shiba said he's looking forward to deepening ties with the U.S. church as
Iraq begins to rebuild.

In a press conference later in the day, he said the church in Iraq - like the
churches that opposed the war elsewhere - hoped violence would be averted.
But while Iraqis are grateful for the troops who toppled the Hussein regime,
he said, it soon became clear that there was no plan for stabilizing Iraq.
Instead, he said, the U.S. presence was "like blind bats banging against the
walls."

Now, Shiba said, the role of the international church is to work for peace
and help rebuild - and to remind the U.S. government of its responsibility.
He said U.S. Christians should not stop speaking, even if the Bush
administration still refuses to meet with mainline leaders, as it did before
the war.

"I believe this is a challenge for the church," he said. "Even if you are
turned down by the administration ... You must respond to the calling of
(your) Master to engage in the work of rebuilding. While your voice may be
smothered, your actions can be loud. And it is our privilege to partner with
your church."

Shanazarian said church unity is critical for Christians who are minorities
in their home countries. He said the Fellowship of Middle Eastern Evangelical
Churches has helped relieve the isolation of Iranian Christians, many of whom
are leaving Iran in search of economic security.

Shanazarian presented a small Persian rug bearing the image of Jesus to the
PC(USA)'s Worldwide Ministries Division, calling it "the image that unites
all of us."

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.