From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Board Statement Addresses 'Nurturing Authentic Relationships'

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:30:10 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 6/30/04)--The General Board
of American Baptist Churches USA, meeting June 27 in Green Lake, Wis.,
affirmed "A Call for Continuing Dialogue - Nurturing Authentic Relationships
Through Racial Reconciliation."

The text of the statement reads:

"As a Christ-centered people we yearn to nurture authentic relationships with
one another.  The current climate in our denomination reminds us that we fall
short of our vision.  As a people of prayer, passion and purpose it is our
dream to become the Beloved Community where people of every race, nationality
and culture gather as one in worship, service and work.

"This call is centered in our response to God's redemptive love.  It is about
enhancing our life together and the power of forgiveness to overcome
alienation, the strength of love to transform hate, the power of grace to
break the bonds of guilt, the triumph of hope over despair, and the victory
of faith over doubt.

"This call to nurture authentic relationships is a call to continuing
dialogue, beginning immediately with specific emphasis through 2010.  Drawing
on the resources of our national boards, Office of the General Secretary, the
Regional Executive Ministers Council, and transformation and reconciliation
ministries we shall engage each other in those conversations that lead us
toward the Beloved Community."

K/2004ABNS/04ABN82

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org