From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Presbyterian Men urged to witness to gospel

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:10:42 -0500

Note #8379 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Presbyterian Men urged to witness to gospel
GA04085
July 1, 2004

Presbyterian Men urged to witness to gospel

Ex-moderator would 'resurrect' idea that church is 'really great'

by Nancy D. Borst

RICHMOND, July 1 - The moderator of the 2002 General Assembly said during a
dinner meeting of Presbyterian Men Wednesday evening that it is important
that they be strong, spiritual witnesses to the gospel and invite others to
join them in worship.

"If we think people (automatically) know Jesus Christ in this American
country, we are fools," said the Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel, a naturalized American
citizen and pastor who works in a ministry with international students in
Atlanta.

Abu-Akel told the story of a 40-year-old man in a new-member class who had no
knowledge of Easter or of the resurrection.

"You and I swim in one box, and we think everybody knows that box," he said.
"We need to resurrect the reality that it's really great to come to church.
Some men drop off their families, but do not attend themselves."

Presbyterian Men is launching an ambitious campaign to increase membership
and raise enough money to once again hire a full-time national staff person.
The position was eliminated in July 2003 for financial reasons.

Presbyterian Men now has about 1 million members. About 700 PC(USA)
congregations have chapters.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.