From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Presbyterians celebrate scouting

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:35:59 -0500

Note #8382 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Presbyterians celebrate scouting
GA04088

Presbyterians celebrate scouting

Ministry matters 'now more than ever,' speaker contends

by Shane Whisler

RICHMOND, July 1 - General Assembly commissioners gathered amid uniformed
Presbyterians Tuesday for a luncheon celebrating the 84-year-long partnership
between the Presbyterian church and the Boy Scouts of America.

About 50 people who attended the event sponsored by the National Association
of Presbyterian Scouters at Richmond's Second Presbyterian Church heard
national and local scout officials and supporters call for renewed commitment
to increase the number of troops based in Presbyterian congregations.

The association's mission is to develop scouting in Presbyterian churches to
impart religious values to young people as a youth ministry of the
denomination.

Tim Timberlake, a former radio broadcaster in Richmond and a longtime
scouting enthusiast, cited a "general decline in morality" and "explosion of
(harmful) media" as reasons for supporting scouting programs now.

"I think it's so important now - more than ever - that we do all we can, as
former Scouts, as scouters, as church leaders, to make this singular,
time-honored program available to as many young men and women as we possibly
can," he said.

Timberlake added: "Sincerely, one of the highlights of my life's experiences
was those summers at (Boy Scout) camp."

In fact, he said, it was a visit to the hometown of a fellow camp staff
member who worked as a radio disc jockey that led him to consider a career in
radio - a career that lasted more than three decades.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.