From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Program matches openings, call-seekers

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:07:44 -0500

Note #8378 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Program matches openings, call-seekers
GA04084
July 1, 2004

Program matches openings, call-seekers

PC(USA) applicants can meet prospective employers 'Face to Face'

by Evan Silverstein

RICHMOND, July 1 - Rob Gentry's congregation in northwestern South Carolina
is looking for a pastor.

For North Anderson Community Church-Presbyterian, that's a challenge.

The congregation, already without a leader for more than a year, is in
Anderson, SC, a small town that's barely a blip on the radar of big-city- and
tall-steeple minded ministers.

Gentry describes the church near Greenville in Foothills Presbytery as a
"progressive congregation" that's looking for a progressive pastor.

And, as always, it's crucial to find the right match of shepherd and flock.

That's why Gentry and other members of the congregation's Pastor Nominating
Committee (PNC) attended the "Face-to-Face Event" in room B-13 of the
Richmond Convention Center during the 216th General Assembly.

One purpose of the program is to introduce clergy men and women looking for
pastorates with congregations looking for pastors.

"We thought by coming to the General Assembly we would have a better chance
of finding candidates, because here we're dealing with the national church,"
said Gentry, who joined his PNC colleagues in wearing T-shirts asking: "R-U-R
New Pastor?"

"So that's why we came, and that's why we wore the shirts - to create as big
a billboard as we could," he said.

 The Face-to-Face service is open to ministers, other church professionals
and lay educators from around the Presbyterian Church (USA) who have
submitted personal information forms (PIFs) to the denomination's Web-based
Church Leadership Connection.

Call-seeking clergy can sift through church information forms (CIFs) filed by
congregations, governing bodies and church-related organizations and connect
with representatives for on-the-spot interviews.

"We have made some incredible connections," Gentry said. "The system they
have established has been incredible in helping us find a pastor."

The PC(USA)'s Churchwide Personnel Services staffs the event, which by
Wednesday evening had had visits from 86 call-seeking ministers, including
some Assembly commissioners. About 188 churches from across the nation had
sent representatives to connect with candidates.

"We have chaplain positions. We have administrative positions in
church-related schools. We also have several campus pastors - just a whole
variety of positions," said Sylvia Barger, associate for Church Leadership
Connection. "But the majority are various types of positions in a
congregation."

Barger said this year's Face-to-Face booth has been the busiest ever, and her
office is exploring ways of reproducing it next year when there won't be an
Assembly.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.