From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Congressman poses gospel challenge

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:00:55 -0500

Note #8404 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Congressman poses gospel challenge
GA04110
July 2, 2004

Congressman poses gospel challenge

Politicians haven't done much for 'the least of these,' Scott contends

by Emily Enders Odom

RICHMOND, July 2 - The annual Assembly dinner hosted by the Presbyterian
Washington Office was the occasion of a provocative speech by Rep. Robert C.
"Bobby" Scott (D-VA), that state's first African-American congressman since
Reconstruction.

If today's politicians were asked the question from the gospel - "When I was
hungry, did you feed me?" - "They'd say, 'Well, we did cut back on school
lunches, and we cut back on food stamps ... but we gave tax cuts to the
rich,'" Scott said.

"The Presbyterian Church, on the other hand, has worked tirelessly to assist
'the least of these, my brethren,' working from religious values and
fundamental principles of equity and respect," he said.

Scott, who was elected first in 1992, was introduced by the Rev. Elenora
Giddings Ivory, the director of the PC(USA)'s Washington Office, as the first
American of Filipino heritage to serve in Congress.

One of two recipients of the Washington Office's annual Partnership in
Mission for Public Policy Advocacy Awards, Scott based his remarks on the
passage in Matthew 25 about ministering to the hungry, the sick, the
imprisoned.

Scott said religious organizations "have always been in the forefront of
addressing the country's most pressing social needs."

He spoke about the Bush Administration's "faith-based initiatives," the
acceptance of discrimination in American society, unfairness in the criminal
justice system, and the challenges to civil rights inherent in the USA
PATRIOT Act and the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment.

Referring to recent hearings on the marriage measure, Scott said, "We haven't
had time to discuss ... the right to health care, or the right to vote, or
how people can be held without charges. ... This is an amendment to deny the
rights of some people to get the rights, benefits, and responsibilities of
marriage."

He praised the Washington Office for its involvement in defense of civil
rights, and said that Giddings Ivory had "testified to make sure that people
knew the Presbyterian Church agrees that civil rights and non-discrimination
ought to apply to all of God's children."

His speech, peppered with wit, humor and passion, earned a standing ovation.

The other award recipient was the Restoring Creation House Church, called
under guidance from the Session at Trinity Presbyterian Church in
Harrisonburg, VA. It was presented by Carolynn Race, the Washington Office's
associate for domestic issues.

"The Restoring Creation House Church responded to the call of the 202nd
General Assembly, which in 1990 adopted a policy report, Restoring Creation
for Ecology and Justice," she said. "The work (of the church) on eco-justice
issues has been invaluable. ...Members ... have been leaders in the PC(USA),
speaking truth to those in power about the need to restore God's creation for
ecology and justice."

The dinner also featured an entreaty for support for an Internship Fund
created by Semper Reformanda, the PC(USA) renewal group, in partnership with
the Washington Office. "We thank you for your commitment to help support the
important work of interns in our Washington Office," said Nile Harper of Ann
Arbor, MI, the chair of the Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy. An
extra commitment opportunity account has been established to support the
fund.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.