From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Embrace the Jell-O, oldsters are told

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:31:01 -0500

Note #8388 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Embrace the Jell-O, oldsters are told
GA04094
July 1, 2004

Embrace the Jell-O, oldsters are told

Ex-moderator urges aged Presbyterians to be leaders of the young

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

RICHMOND, July 1 - The Rev. Susan Andrews, moderator of the 215th General
Assembly, used a Jell-O salad as a metaphor for change in her speech to about
50 early birds who gathered for the annual Older Adult Ministries breakfast
Thursday morning.

Andrews was telling the story of a prospective church member who brought her
"famous" Cool Whip Jell-O salad to share at a church function. While looking
for something in the kitchen, she found the "kitchen matron" holding her
salad. "We don't eat Cool Whip at this church," she pronounced, scraping the
woman's contribution into the trash.

Andrews used this illustration in urging older Presbyterians to serve as role
models for other Presbyterians by embracing forward-looking change.

"We need to embrace that new Jell-O salad, that new science, new ideas of
orientation, and new ways of doing things," she said. "Maintain what works
well, and then add to it."

Andrews encouraged older adults to embrace their roles as servant leaders,
pointing out that retirees often have time and resources to contribute to
ministries of service.

"As I get older, I am less certain that I am right all the time, and less
sure that everyone else is wrong all the time," Andrews admitted. "The most
important thing is our relationships with others." She challenged her
listeners to create reconciling climates that show that God's people can't
live without each other.

Finally, she asked older adults to share their wisdom as they walk the last
miles of their journeys with those who are just stepping onto the path.

"Become a mentor to younger members, and share the joys of Presbyterianism,
stewardship, and how to balance work and play," she said. "Teach us all how
to grow older gracefully and joyfully as we transition into God's eternal
kingdom."

Noticeable among the more mature breakfast participants was 18-year-old
Presbyterian Youth Connection Co-Moderator Nathan Ballentine, of Tallahassee,
a freshman at Warren Wilson College.

Ballentine said he read about the Older Adult Ministries breakfast and wanted
to see what it was about. Referring to Andrews' talk, he commented: "Our
(denomination's) youngest are yearning to learn, and our oldest are yearning
to teach. It seems like a natural union. I think if the oldest generation can
unite with the youngest, then there's great hope that the rest of the church
can come together."

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.