From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Preacher abhors 'blame game'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:49:34 -0500

Note #8385 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Preacher abhors 'blame game'
GA04091
July 1, 2004

Preacher abhors 'blame game'

J. Barrie Shepherd says Christians are obsessed with sin and guilt

by Nancy D. Borst

RICHMOND, July 1 - Presbyterian poet and pastor J. Barrie Shepherd urged
worshippers during Thursday morning's General Assembly service to move the
church beyond "blame games."

Shepherd said the Christian church, particularly in the West, has become
obsessed with sin and guilt.

"We persist in looking for someone to blame," he said. "We insist on seeking
out the guilty party."

Shepherd preached on the story in John 9 in which Jesus heals the blind man,
noting that the disciples were more concerned with the sin behind the man's
condition than his healing.

"Those disciples should have been asking who to praise, who to glorify," he
said.

Shepherd said he doesn't deny the reality of sin or the necessity of the
cross.

"What I am saying is there is more to our faith than this," he said. "Jesus
said it's all about manifesting the glory of God. Perhaps, in other words,
the appropriate approach to this world, with its mysteries, quandaries,
tragedies - and comedies, too - is not so much that of guilt as that of
glory."

The service included music from the City Singers Community Children's Choir
of Richmond.

This story and many others may have photos, media, video clips that can be
found at http://www.pcusa.org/ga216/.