From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] NCC prevents Pakistani family's unjust deportation

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:43:40 -0500

Note #8424 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04306
July 12, 2004

NCC prevents Pakistani family's unjust deportation

Patriarch's hate crime death created visa hassles

by Carol Fouke
News and Information officer
National Council of Churches

WASHINGTON - A national effort supported by the National Council of Churches
USA (NCC) and other faith groups to fight the deportation of the late Waqar
Hasan's family won a major victory this week when the U.S. House of
Representatives passed a private relief bill (H.R. 867) that would give Mr.
Hasan-s wife, Duri, and four daughters - Nida, Iqra, Asna and Anum Hasan -
permanent residency in the United States.

	Waqar Hasan, who was from Pakistan but lived in Milltown, NJ, was
killed in a hate crime four days after 9/11 simply because he was Muslim and
looked Middle Eastern.

	Since his death, Mr. Hasan's family has been faced with deportation
because their visas and green card applications were dependent upon his visa.
Rep. Rush Holt (NJ) introduced the private relief bill, which will now go to
the U.S. Senate for consideration and then to President Bush.

	According to Rep. Holt, "I believe that there is no more crucial time
to demonstrate to Muslims in America and around the world that we are a
tolerant and sympathetic people. We must seize opportunities to showcase
America's commitment to the democratic values that we are making great
sacrifices to promote overseas."

	Hasan came to the U.S. 1993 and settled in New Jersey where he ran
some gas stations in the area. He had already filed a petition with the INS
for green cards for himself and his family when he was shot in Dallas while
trying to establish a convenience store.

	Mark Anthony Stroman said that he killed Hasan to "retaliate on local
Arab Americans or whatever you want to call them."

	Prominent Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders including NCC General
Secretary Bob Edgar, United Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert, and Thomas
Jeavons, General Secretary of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends, joined together, along with other individuals
and groups, to support the effort to stop the deportation of the Hasan
family.

	"We are delighted that the House of Representatives recognizes that
deportation of the Hasan family would be a grave injustice," said Tony
Kireopoulos, NCC associate general secretary of international affairs and
peace. "We look forward to the Senate and President Bush responding in
similar fashion to make sure this family's tragedy isn't compounded by their
dreams of a new life being cut short."