From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Vision Statement Provides Focus and Challenge

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:53:15 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 7/15/04)--The new proposed
vision statement for American Baptist Churches USA, according to General
Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, "is an exciting call to focus our
future mission in a relevant and powerful way, but also calls us to face
issues of unity and wholeness that need to be confronted before we are indeed
the 'beloved community' we aspire to become."

The proposed vision statement* was developed during the "Seek It Summit" last
month as the culmination of an unprecedented process of gathering input from
more than 2,500 American Baptists who shared their hopes for American Baptist
Churches USA.  Additional responses to the statement will be gathered this
summer and fall before the statement is presented to the General Board for
action in November.

"The vision that has been cast acknowledges just how confident we are--in the
width and breadth of our aspirations-as we serve Christ through this decade
and beyond," Medley said.  "But before we can tackle those challenges, we
must face the fact that unity is not yet a reality, and that members of our
family are hurting and are not completely comfortable with this denomination
as it currently functions.  It would be a tragic mistake to presume that
greater mutual understanding, dialog and, indeed, healing are not needed-and
at this very moment."

"We are a wonderfully diverse family of faith," Medley said, "and with
diversity comes a range of needs and expectations.  It's a fact that not all
those needs and expectations are being met at the same level."

"It is my experience that the most critical work in dealing with issues of
race and ethnicity occurs at those very points where it is most difficult to
engage one another-those places where trust and the ability to hold honest
dialog are low.  In such situations we are utterly dependent upon the
reconciling work of the Spirit to move us beyond our stuck points to that
place where authentic relationships can be nurtured.  For this grace we pray
and to this goal we recommit ourselves."

"We have work to do, and we need to begin honestly addressing every concern
today," Medley said.  "These are challenges, certainly, but I have no doubt
that we should move forward with hope and excitement, confident that our God
who has blessed us so deeply with a vibrant heritage will lead us forward to
Christ-centered, life-changing ministries in the years ahead."

*  "American Baptists are a Christ-centered, biblically grounded, ethnically
diverse people called to radical personal discipleship in Christ Jesus.  Our
commitment to Jesus propels us to nurture authentic relationships with one
another; build healthy churches; transform our communities, our nations and
our world; engage every member in hands-on ministry; and speak the prophetic
word in love.

"As a people of prayer, purpose, and passion, we are in the forefront of
creating a community of faith where people of every race, nationality and
culture gather as one in worship, service and work.

"The heart of the gospel is God's redemptive love.  In our life together, the
world will see the power of forgiveness to overcome alienation, the strength
of love to transform hate, the power of grace to break the bonds of guilt,
the triumph of hope over despair, and the victory of faith over doubt.

"Through the cross of Christ we embrace the world as neighbor.	Our vision
for mission energizes a multitude of servant ministries of evangelism,
discipleship, leadership, new church development, social justice, healing,
peacemaking, economic development and education.  Empowered by the Holy
Spirit, we work together in mutual submission, humility, love, and giving
that the gospel might be preached and lived in all the world."

K/2004ABNS/04ABN85

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org