From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] PC(USA) leaders send letter to the church on Sudan

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:13:42 -0500

Note #8445 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

PC(USA) leaders send letter to the church on Sudan crisis
04343
August 2, 2004

PC(USA) leaders send letter to the church on Sudan crisis

Prayer, congressional contact sought

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - With the siege of Darfur in Sudan reaching catastrophic
proportions, leaders of the Presbyterian Church (USA) have sent a letter to
the church asking all Presbyterians to pray for the tragedy and to contact
their congressional representatives urging intervention to stop what has been
called "genocide" or "ethnic cleansing."

 The full text of the letter, dated July 23 and signed by General Assembly
Moderator Rick Ufford-Chase, General Assembly Stated Clerk Clifton
Kirkpatrick, General Assembly Council Executive Director John Detterick and
Worldwide Ministries Division Director Marian McClure:

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

CRISIS IN SUDAN!

Many of you will have become aware in recent days and weeks of the escalating
crisis in the Republic of Sudan, particularly in the Darfur region. It is
clear that the worst humanitarian crisis in the world today is unfolding in
Sudan. As this happens the international community is engaged in a discussion
of whether or not to call this situation "genocide" or "ethnic cleansing."
The seriousness of the crisis is highlighted by the recent visits to the
region by United Nations Secretary General, Mr. Kofi Annan, and the United
States Secretary of State, Mr. Colin Powell.

In Sudan over the last twenty years, a slow, yet sustained genocide has
already been taking place. The Government of Sudan has systematically
operated to clear large sections of Sudan of any inhabitants, practicing a
"scorched earth" policy ending in the deaths of over two million people, with
millions more being displaced.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has been closely connected to Sudan since
the first Presbyterian missionaries were sent to Khartoum in 1901, over 100
years ago. Today, the PC(USA) continues to have a vibrant and growing
ministry together with our Presbyterian and ecumenical partners there, which
entails evangelism, theological training, women's programs, youth work,
prison ministries, basic education, and health care, along with many others.
There are three presbyteries of the PC(USA) in specific partner relations
with Presbyterians in Sudan, and we have five mission personnel presently
assigned there. Our partners in Sudan have clearly called on the PC(USA) to
take action to bring peace and justice to this land.

We are writing to you at this time to raise your awareness to this situation
and encourage you to act. Official letters have gone out to the U.S.
Government and United Nations regarding our concern about this crisis. It is
equally, if not more, important that the many members of this great
denomination individually act to stop the genocide in Sudan and to respond to
this humanitarian crisis. We encourage you to pray for the people of Sudan
and to make use of the information that we provide here to become more
informed and to take action. You will see that it is critical that your voice
be heard now regarding the question of genocide. Your support for our
response to the ongoing needs of our partners is also needed into the future.
Please feel free to contact the staff members listed below for further
information on how to respond or become involved.

It is a critical moment for us to let the leadership of the U.S. Congress
know that we must pass the joint resolutions (HR 467 and SR 124), urging the
President to declare genocide in Sudan and take measures to end it now. You
can take action on this alert via the Web at: iAbolish Freedom Action
Network, or use other means that are located in the Sudan Resource List
below.

The Apostle Paul reminds us, "when one part of the body suffers, all suffer
together" (I Cor. 12:26).  This is a time of incredible suffering among our
sisters and brothers in Sudan, and it needs to be a time of incredible prayer
and solidarity by those of us in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). As you
seek to respond with the love of Christ to this crisis situation, we would
also like to call your attention to resources and resource people on the
attached list that might be helpful to you.

May God's richest blessings be with you and the people of Sudan!

The four leaders included the following information with their letter:

Sudan Crisis Response Resource List

Key Resource Contacts:

Doug Welch, Coordinator
Central and West Africa Office
dwelch@ctr.pcusa.org

Susan Ryan, Coordinator
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
sryan@ctr.pcusa.org

Both can be reached toll-free at (888) 728-7228.

Helpful Web Sites:

www.Sudan.net
http://allafrica.com/sudan/
US Committee for Refugees http://www.refugees.org/
Human Rights Watch http://hrw.org?doc?t+africa&c=sudan
BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/default.stm#
New Sudan Council of Churches http://www.nsccnet.org/index.html
United Nations News http://www.irinnews.org
http://www.faithfulamerica.org
Trinity Presbytery website www.trinity-presbytery.org
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance site on Sudan
Sudan Advocacy Action Forum:

The members of the Sudan Advocacy Action Forum are Presbyterians from around
our denomination who want to see justice and peace for the people of Sudan.
We are convinced of the need for ALL Presbyterians to become informed and to
act on behalf of the Sudanese.

To receive Sudan Updates, contact Oldanew@aol.com and request to receive
summarized news briefings as they happens.

Bill Andress, Moderator
SAAF
301 Ashley Oaks CT
Lexington, SC 29072
803 951 3025
BillAndress@ureach.com

Bobbie-Frances Mcdonald
oldanew@aol.com

What else YOU can do:
Presbyterians are working actively to provide humanitarian assistance to
those who are suffering in Sudan. Support for humanitarian efforts in this
crisis should be marked for account number 9-2000043 Sudan and sent to:
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.),  Individual Remittance Processing, P.O. Box
643700, Pittsburgh, PA 15264-3700.

Support our Presbyterian Partners through giving to the Sudan-related Extra
Commitment Opportunities (ECO) accounts found in the Presbyterian ECO
catalogue or online at http://www.pcusa.org/cgi-bin/ecolist, and type in
Sudan.