From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Atlanta ELCA Pastor Preaches On 'Day 1' Radio Program

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:34:27 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 3, 2004

Atlanta ELCA Pastor Preaches On 'Day 1' Radio Program
04-140-NR*/JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Bradley E. Schmeling, pastor of St. John's
Lutheran Church, an Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
congregation in Atlanta, will be the featured speaker Aug. 22 on "Day 1."
Day 1 is an award-winning radio program broadcast on more than 150
stations nationwide, on the American Forces Network and on the Internet.
     In his sermon Schmeling preaches from the Gospel of Luke about a
woman Jesus heals in a synagogue on the Sabbath.  "It's really only as we
live in [Jesus'] gaze that we find the power and the courage to see those
around us," he said. "It is in these faces that we will find the face of
Jesus.	This is the mystery of the Word made flesh: Jesus is now present
in the bent-over woman. By looking, we are the ones that are raised from
the dead. In the movement to look and to see, we find ourselves seen and
freed." The program also includes a brief interview with Schmeling.
     Schmeling has a degree in telecommunications and journalism from Ohio
University, Athens. In 1989 he earned a master of divinity from Trinity
Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio, one of eight ELCA seminaries. For six
years he was pastor of Calvary Lutheran Church, Columbus. In addition to
his current call at St. John's, Schmeling is a teaching assistant at
Candler School of Theology, Emory University, Atlanta, where he is a
doctoral candidate.
     Formerly known as "The Protestant Hour," Day 1 has been broadcast
every week for 59 years, winning numerous awards in the process, including
the George Foster Peabody Award and the 2003 Communication Award for
Excellence in inspirational radio. It is produced in association with the
ELCA, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, Episcopal Media Center, United
Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and United Church of
Christ.  A television version is also broadcast Sunday mornings on the
Hallmark Channel's "America at Worship" series.
---
* Nan Ross is publicist for Day 1.

     For information about Day 1, call toll free 888-411-Day-1 or got to
www.Day1.net on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news