From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC UPDATE: Jerusalem church leaders praise EAPPI

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:28:23 +0200

World Council of Churches - Update
Contact: + 41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org
For immediate release - 05/08/2004

JERUSALEM CHURCH LEADERS: "EAPPI IS EMBLEMATIC OF CHRISTIAN-MUSLIM
 RELATIONS IN ISRAEL"

			 Free high resolution photos available (see below).

Three heads of churches in Jerusalem - Roman Catholic patriarch, Michel
Sabbah, Lutheran bishop, Munib Younan, and Greek Melkite archimandrite,
Mtanios Haddad - visited three predominantly Muslim Palestinian communities
on 2 August, showing their support and appreciation for the work of the
members of the World Council of Churches (WCC) Ecumenical Accompaniment
Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI).

During visits to the West Bank communities of Tulkarem, Jayyous and Nablus,
the three bishops met with Christian and Muslim religious and civil
leaders, demonstrating the cooperation between members of both faiths, and
the fact that the Palestinian people are one and united.  The work of the
EAPPI accompaniers was praised by the delegation and local community
leaders as demonstrating the positive role that churches play in
Palestinian society, both Muslim and Christian.

The sites were chosen because the accompaniers have been working in all
three places.  The church leaders also wanted to show solidarity with those
communities which have suffered the effects of Israels "separation wall",
and its policies restricting freedom of movement.

Latin Patriarch Sabbah showed his appreciation for EAPPI's work in an
address to a group of Christian and Muslim religious and secular leaders in
Nablus.  "The love of Christ is not only for Christians; it is for
everyone," Sabbah said. "And to the ecumenical accompaniers from the World
Council of Churches, we called upon you and you came.  We have put faith in
you and we are always with you.  This is an occasion to thank you, and also
to thank the churches you represent and the World Council of Churches."

Bishop Younan saw the EAPPI as helping to show how all people of faith can
work together towards a common goal of peace.  "It is not true that there
is a struggle between Christianity and Islam," Younan said. "We are
communicating to the world that we are one nation, one cause, seeking
justice and reconciliation - Christians and Muslims.  The programme (EAPPI)
proves this, as it is not only in Palestine but in Israel as well.  We work
with everyone who works for justice and reconciliation - Christians,
Muslims and Jews.  This programme works with people of all three faiths who
work against injustice and for reaching a solution as members of one human
family."

Reiterating the words of his two colleagues, "This programme is important,"
Archimandrite Haddad said. "It shows that the church is working for
justice, without worrying about whom we are helping. I am very happy that
Muslims accept the ecumenical accompaniers without worrying about religious
divisions. This shows that it is not a religious problem; it is a political
problem. This programme is a Christian testimony to peace."

Abu Azzam, a member of the Land Defense Committee in Jayyous, was one of
many members of the local communities who thanked both the churches and
EAPPI for their help.  "We are one people, Muslims and Christians.  We are
together against the occupation.  This visit not only confirms that, but
shows the support we get from the churches and that we are not alone.  They
have supported us all the time.  The ecumenical accompaniers show that as
well. They are good friends to this community, and we are all one family."

"It's an honour to have them come and see what we're doing here, and the
village people's reaction," said Ann-Catrin Andersson from Sweden, one of
the accompaniers in Jayyous.  "It is very important to see the commitment
to us of the people who invited us.  It is gratifying to see that they
appreciate us. There are strong relations between the church and the
community, a fruitful cooperation.  I think that the work of the ecumenical
accompaniers here has helped as well."

The EAPPI was launched following a call by the heads of churches in
Jerusalem for an ecumenical presence here in the Holy Land.  Ecumenical
accompaniers are placed in communities throughout Palestine and Israel,
working alongside all those who struggle non-violently against the
occupation.

Click here for free high resolution photos:
http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/what/international/palestine/eappi-july04.html

Click here to open the EAPPI-Website:
http://www.eappi.org/

Additional information: Juan Michel,+41 22 791 6153  +41 79 507 6363
	 media@wcc-coe.org

 The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 342, in
 more than 120 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
 traditions. The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but works
 cooperatively with the WCC. The highest governing body is the assembly,
 which meets approximately every seven years. The WCC was formally
 inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Its staff is headed by
 general secretary Samuel Kobia from the Methodist church in Kenya.

You receive this message as a subscriber to the WCC information service for
	 media. To unsubscribe or change your settings, <a

href="http://onlineservices.wcc-coe.org/wccregistration.nsf/UpdateRequest?Ope
nForm"><font
 face="Arial">click here</font></a>
	 .