From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwanese Churches Receive Government Recognition for Service

From "pctpress" <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:33:07 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2736, 2-8 August 2004

Reported by Yang Shu-hao.  Translated and Rewritten by David Alexander

Taiwan!&s Central Government Ministry of the Interior announced its awards
for
meritorious service by religious organizations in 2003 on 27th July 2004. One
hundred and twelve temples, churches and other agencies whose primary
function
is religion were recognized for social service. Among them were three
congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan, all from the nation!&s
southern region.

The main services for which these congregations were recognized had
children!&s education or care of the elderly as their focus.  One of the
churches, Kang Shan Presbyterian Church in Kaohsiung County, received
recognition for the second year running.

The Rev. Li Bu-yong, pastor at Kang Shan, said a church seeking to do what is
good will naturally become involved in community service.  It!&s literary and
historical work, for which it was recognized this year, is a recognition by
the local government of the church!&s long involvement in the transformation
of Kang-Shan Township.	He and the township government both hope that the
church can participate with professional researchers on a local historical
project.

!'A church that is deeply rooted in local culture easily gains residents!&
recognition.!( In the course of historical research it turned out that the
church provided a fixed point from which to view social evolution. The names
on the membership roles today reveal a change from those of past generations.
The local government took an interest and found a treasure trove of local
historical information.

The church was also recognized for its long-term contributions to the
community through a neighborhood concern association, a senior citizens!&
college and weekend children!&s programmes and youth activities.

Situated half way from Taiwan to China, Makung Presbyterian Church in Peng-hu
County began service to the elderly people in its neighborhood almost by
accident.  The Rev. Hsia Te-huei says, !'We began just by visiting our own
members, some of whom lived in a government home for the elderly. At other
times it was in visiting members in hospital. After the visits, we discovered
thet our area has very many isolated and lonely elderly residents. We began
design activities with these in mind. After two years we had developed good
relationships with the management of both the hospital and the home for the
aged.!(

For 50 years the church has been known in the city for its kindergarten.  As
many as half of the population of the city studied there at one time or
another. Currently of the 500 kindergarten students in Makung, 200 attend at
the church. Rev. Hsia notes that !'our kindergarten teachers are required to
attend prayers at the start of each day of classes, and on the weekends teach
Sunday School.!( The cross-feed from the kindergarten into the Sunday School
is over 100 students. It is a natural way in which the gospel is preached and
taught to the very young.

In much the same vein, the Aboriginal Wuling Presbyterian Church in Taitung
County was recognized for its service to the very young and the elderly.
Seven
years ago the church began to participate in a government sponsored Cultural
Growth Education programme. It involved after school tutoring for elementary
school students and Bunun Culture education, providing a safe and
well-rounded
place in which to learn.

!'The Rev. Pima, pastor of Wuling, says, !'Seeing the little ones after
school
running to the church is a positive thing. Some had suffered at school,
others
had long been injured there.!( He deeply feels for the community!&s children,
about 40 of whom are involved in the tutoring service.	On the weekends the
church holds !'educational activities!( for which most of those in the after
school programme return.

Pima tells of one student who !'came to church for three years, and graduated
with good grades. His personal characteristics changed to lively and open.
His
parents saw the change, and came to ask what the church had done.  Now those
parents have joined the church.!(

Every Wednesday afternoon the church!&s women!&s fellowship meets and
disperses to visit the families of the elderly people in the area. They bring
out the wheelchair bound, check on those who live alone, and hold activities
involving handicrafts and health. They pay special attention to the
homebound,
whom they visit, nourish and care for. Pima says, !'We do this together with
Taitung Christian Hospital and its chaplaincy department.!(

Among the organizations receiving government recognition this time were 28
churches and church related agencies. They cut right across the lines of
Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical and independent, as well as church and
para-church organizations.

For More Information: Makung Presbyterian Church FAX +886 6 9272998

		   Kang-shan Presbyterian Church kspc.a436@msa.hinet.net

					     www.kspc.org.tw

				  Wu-ling Presbyterian Church
v1207464@ms38.hinet.net

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw