From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay Church Group Responds To CA Same-Sex Court Ruling

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:12:27 EDT

Statement By
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Office of the  Moderator
Metropolitan Community Churches

NOTE:
Rev. Troy Perry performed the first same-sex marriage ever  conducted in the
United States in 1970, and in 1971 filed the first-ever lawsuit  seeking
legal
recognition of same-sex marriages.

August 12, 2004

Today's decision by the California Supreme Court voiding 4000 marriage
licenses issued to same-sex couples in San Francisco marks a sad day in the
struggle for equal rights for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender
persons.

It is important to note that this is a very narrow ruling and the court  will

not address the more important constitutional questions until later this
year.

This decision is a temporary setback in our ongoing march toward full
equality. The struggle to achieve marriage equality for LGBT people continues
move forward in other legal forums, both in California and across the United

States.

Despite today's setback, we again express thanks to San Francisco Mayor
Gavin Newsom. His actions on behalf of equality have earned him a historic
role
in achieving full human rights for the LGBT community.

I also salute the tireless efforts of The Reverend Dr. G. Penny Nixon and
the congregation of Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco for their

historic role in conducting many of the first-ever marriages performed with a

civil marriage license in San Francisco.

Finally, the heartfelt appreciation of our community goes to the 4000
couples who made history by applying for and receiving civil marriage
licenses  in
San Francisco, and to all government officials, LGBT organizations, and MCC
clergy who have moved the marriage issue forward.

Today, we join hands with LGBT people everywhere who hunger for justice by
reaffirming MCC's 35 year commitment to the struggle for full equality for
all
people under the marriage laws.

/signed/
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
MCC Founder and  Moderator

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt, MCC Communications  Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: _info@MCCchurch.org_ (mailto:info@MCCchurch.org)