From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Judson Press Book Is Atlanta Choice Award Winner

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:58:07 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 8/13/04)--I'll Do the Right
Thing, written by Jean Alicia Elster, illustrated by Nicole Tadgell and
published by Judson Press, was the winner in the "Children" category in last
month's 2004 Atlanta Daily World Atlanta Choice Awards competition.

The awards were based on the results of more than 1,400 votes cast by readers
for books in eight categories. To qualify for the Atlanta Daily World Atlanta
Choice Awards, books must have been published within the previous calendar
year, be readily available to the public for purchase, and be by, for or
about African Americans.

The fourth book in the Joe Joe in the City series published by Judson Press,
I'll Do the Right Thing finds ten-year-old Joe Joe Rawlings facing gang
trouble at school. He has to make a difficult decision about whether to join
Tyrone and his crew, or to follow the example of Ralph Bunche, the first
African American to receive the Nobel Peace Prize and the highest-ranking
African American on staff at the United Nations. With the help of his
grandmother, Joe Joe discovers the significance of Jesus' teaching, "Blessed
are the peacemakers."

Each book in this collection features Joe Joe learning important life lessons
combined with Christian themes and black history. The other titles in the
series include: Just Call Me Joe Joe; I Have a Dream, Too!; and I'll Fly My
Own Plane.

Judson Press also was honored during the Christian Booksellers Association
International Expo in June with a Certificate of Appreciation for its
long-term commitment to meeting the needs of the Christian African American
marketplace.  Presenting the award, Joseph R. Curtiss, president of the
Christian African American Booksellers Association (CAABA), thanked Judson
Press for its long-term commitment to the organization.

Judson Press is consistently recognized as one of the leading publishers for
African American Christian resources.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN94

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org