From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC - Statement of Concern Regarding Burundi Massacre

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:29:06 -0700

ALL AFRICA CONFERENCE OF CHURCHES

CONFERENCE DES EGLISES DE TOUTE L AFRIQUE

www.aacc-ceta.org	Tel: 254 - 20 - 4441483, 4441338/9 7 Fax: 254 - 20-
4443241, 4445835 7 Email: secretariat@aacc-ceta.org

General Secretariat: Waiyaki Way, P.O. Box 14205 , 00800 Westlands,
Nairobi, Kenya

RE: THE CHURCHES CONCERN ON MASSACRE IN BURUNDI

Greetings from the All Africa Conference of Churches. I hereby would like
to express our gratitude first and foremost for your being appointed as the
Chairperson of the Africa Union.  We are especially grateful for the
leadership role that you are now playing with regard to various sites of
conflict in the continent.

  However, may I share with you our deep concern and of the entire
fellowship of Churches all over Africa, united under the leadership of the
AACC, on the recent massacre of innocent civilians at a refugee camp in
Burundi.  More than 160 persons, mostly Congolese civilians of whom the
majority were women and children have been killed in cold blood.  Together
with the Churches in the region, we are deeply saddened by these events.

While expressing our solidarity with the communities affected, we reiterate
that the international community must reinforce its presence in Burundi to
abate any further violence and death!  We urge you Mr. President as chair
of the African Union to help the people of Burundi find a lasting solution
to the emerging problems of violence especially before the November
elections.  We applaud your call on the Burundi government to investigate
the massacre and bring the murderers to justice without delay.	We urge
that the rebel group responsible be disarmed immediately and held
accountable for this terrible crime against humanity.

Rev Dr Mvume Dandala

General Secretary All Africa Conference of Churches.