From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

BWNS -- Youth enjoying learning together

From Bahá'í World News Service <bwns@bwc.org>
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:51:21 +0300

Baha'i World News Service
See story with photographs  <http://www.bahaiworldnews.org/>
http://www.bahaiworldnews.org
For more information, contact  <mailto:editor@bahaiworldnews.org>
editor@bahaiworldnews.org

Youth enjoying learning together
N'ZEREKORE, Guinea, 23 August 2004 (BWNS) -- A Baha'i youth conference here
attracted participants from Baha'i, Muslim, Christian, and traditional
African
religious backgrounds.

They gathered at the University of N'Zerekore in the forest region of this
French-speaking country to learn about the teachings, history, and
administration of the Baha'i Faith through presentations, workshops, and
dramatic art performances.

The third annual national Baha'i youth conference, held 23-25 July 2004,
opened with greetings from the regional governor's representative and the
rector of the university.

History

The history lessons focused on the lives of the Central Figures and early
heroes of the Baha'i Faith.

One Baha'i youth said he was moved by a story about how 'Abdu'l-Baha showed
great kindness to a man who chose to mistreat Him. "The story of 'Abdu'l-Baha
helped me to love the people who reject me and to show them that I truly love
them," said Abdoulaye Bangoura, 19, a teacher of Baha'i children's classes.

"If I try to be like 'Abdu'l-Baha, who is the perfect exemplar of the Baha'i
Faith, I must accept the pain and the problems, and continue forward -- this
story has given me courage...," he said.

For Mohamed Diaby, a 19-year-old Muslim, it was the story of the Baha'i
Faith's Forerunner, the Bab, that caught his attention, and he was attracted
to teachings of the oneness of humanity.

"You could say we are all from the same family and worship the same God,"
said
Mr. Diaby.

After studying quotations by Baha'u'llah, Bernadette Traore, a 19-year-old
Catholic, drew attention to the message they contained about the need to live
in harmony with one's beliefs.

Administration

After a presentation on the structure and functioning of Baha'i
administrative
institutions, participants divided into groups so they could learn about how
to serve as members of Local Spiritual Assemblies.

The groups studied the duties of a secretary and chairperson and then held
mock elections for those office-holders. They also appointed an advisor (the
equivalent of an Auxiliary Board member.)

Functioning along the lines of a Local Spiritual Assembly, the groups
consulted on topics such as assisting illiterate people to study the Baha'i
writings, counseling alcoholics, dealing with criticism from local leaders of
other religions, and competently looking after Baha'i funds.

One of the participants, Bruce Mukumbi, a Congolese Baha'i now living in
Guinea, said the youth learned that the office-holders of the Assembly, such
as secretary or chairman, are not allowed to impose their opinions on the
group.

"Because of this workshop, everyone understood that each person can freely
give his opinion and then the decision that's made belongs to the whole
Assembly -- that is the principle of consultation," Mr. Mukumbi said.

Theater

The youth worked in groups to create short plays about Baha'i history and
Baha'i teachings such as consultation, the oneness of religion, and the
equality of women and men.

"The Baha'i Faith in Guinea has a great future with these youth," said Jean
Jacques Yem, a high school arts teacher from Mali who attended the
conference.
Mr. Yem has visited many French-speaking African countries since 1992,
presenting plays based on various Baha'i themes and training Baha'i
performing
arts groups in the use of the arts in promoting the Faith.

Mr. Yem, said he had never seen such enthusiasm from youth as he had observed
after spending a month forming theater arts workshops in Guinea.

Organization

Mr. Yem said he was also impressed that a six-member National Baha'i Youth
Committee organized the conference.

"I saw these young people stand up and take into their own hands the
organization of the entire conference," he said. "The programs, the security
-- they organized almost everything themselves."

Mr. Bangoura, a member of Guinea's National Baha'i Youth Committee, said the
plan for next year's conference is to boost even further the number of youth
from different religious backgrounds and countries.

"It is a conference for youth who are both Baha'is and not Baha'is," he said.
"Since the main teaching of the Baha'i Faith is the unity of humankind, this
teaching is brought to life with participants from other religions -- with
Muslims, Christians, and Baha'is."

Institute

After the conference, 41 youth and five facilitators stayed for an intensive
two-week training  program using the Ruhi Institute materials, which focus on
different aspects of the Baha'i teachings and history.

An integral part of the Ruhi learning method requires students to memorize
quotes from the Baha'i writings.

Mr. Yem said that in the first week of the training sessions, the youth had
developed a memorization competition.

"They even adopted a little game where each time someone moved away from
courteous behavior, they would respond to that person with a quote," Mr. Yem
said.

"For example, a girl said something rude to a boy, and someone started
reciting the words [of Baha'u'llah] 'A kindly tongue...' and everyone chimed
in together 'is the lodestone of the hearts of men.... It clotheth the words
with meaning.' It is so moving to see them living like that."

(Report and photos by Mandy Morgan.)